Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Working Pro vs Eden nemesis

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jabba, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Jabba

Jabba

Mar 11, 2005
    I have a snip to buy these amps (new) much cheaper then store. Which is much reliable and worth its price. They are both 400 W. Thanks for reply.

2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have owned both a Nemesis 410 and an SWR SM-500 head (but have no exposure to the Working Pro Series). I thought the Nemesis was very good overall - lightweight, powerful and affordable. The tone was decent, too and found it to be reliable for the most part. I traded the Nemesis and my Warwick Thumb for the SWR with a couple of the Berg cabinets (which are excellent, BTW). The main reason I went with the SWR was for the features, apparent build quality and overall deeply discounted price (new at $599). Overall, though I discovered the tone completely sucked in a band setting (other than the excellent slap tones). Occasionally I could get a decent tone (with a ton of knob fiddling), but it wasn't great. Replaced the tube and it got better, but still not me. With a SABDDI and Aphex Xciter, I could get a decent, yet noisy tone, but I'd rather just run my bass straight into a great sounding rig. I eventually replaced the SWR with a Thunderfunk head and it became even clearer how bad the SWR sounded - it was a night and day difference, needless to say. And this was from one of SWR's rather high-end heads through some amazing cabinets, so I can't imagine their working pro series would be any better.

I'd go with the Nemesis if I could only pick between the two...

3. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    I've used both swr working pro & nemesis combos in gigs, and I've never liked the wpro when playing in a band. It doesn't seem to cut thru. IMHO the nemesis in general has a more "useful" sound in a band situation.

The decision would depend on the actual models you're considering though.