SWR Workingman 12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punchybass, Feb 28, 2004.

1. I'm thinking about buying a new one. Any input would be great!
  2. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got one and like it very much, though I mainly use it for rehearsals/practice and small gigs (though I've also played a decent-sized outdoor concert with it when I didn't feel like lugging around my main rig).

For context, my main rig is a Kern pre + QSC PLX-2402 power amp. The WM12 serves its function well... and they can be had pretty cheaply on the used market. I picked up mine used about 3 years ago and it's been a champ since then. Solid tone, and reasonably small/light.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've had mine for 3 or 4 years. It's a great practice amp, and would be OK for small (coffee shop) venues. I've found that putting a SABDDI in front of the input really helps the bottom end. I actually like it better than the WM-15. The 12 just has better all-around tone, IMO.
  4. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    what type of music do you play? I've used one for one of my gigging amps for some time now - it works for smaller clubs for me, I also play 4 string pretty exclusively, but I've used a five thru it.
  5. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I bought a used one my senior year of high school, and it got me through to my second or third year of law school. Took a ton of abuse.

It was a great amp, I don't think I've ever found a rig that I liked as much for upright. What's really cool is that Allan Holdsworth's bassist Skuli Sverrisson was using one as his rig for a while!

Does anybody have the WM12 extension cab they used to sell for this thing? I'd be interested in it if anyone wants to unload it...would stick it under my Clarus.