Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Workingman 12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punchybass, Feb 28, 2004.

1. I'm thinking about buying a new one. Any input would be great!

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got one and like it very much, though I mainly use it for rehearsals/practice and small gigs (though I've also played a decent-sized outdoor concert with it when I didn't feel like lugging around my main rig).

For context, my main rig is a Kern pre + QSC PLX-2402 power amp. The WM12 serves its function well... and they can be had pretty cheaply on the used market. I picked up mine used about 3 years ago and it's been a champ since then. Solid tone, and reasonably small/light.

Greg

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've had mine for 3 or 4 years. It's a great practice amp, and would be OK for small (coffee shop) venues. I've found that putting a SABDDI in front of the input really helps the bottom end. I actually like it better than the WM-15. The 12 just has better all-around tone, IMO.

4. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    what type of music do you play? I've used one for one of my gigging amps for some time now - it works for smaller clubs for me, I also play 4 string pretty exclusively, but I've used a five thru it.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I bought a used one my senior year of high school, and it got me through to my second or third year of law school. Took a ton of abuse.

It was a great amp, I don't think I've ever found a rig that I liked as much for upright. What's really cool is that Allan Holdsworth's bassist Skuli Sverrisson was using one as his rig for a while!

Does anybody have the WM12 extension cab they used to sell for this thing? I'd be interested in it if anyone wants to unload it...would stick it under my Clarus.

Will