SWR Workingman 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DarkElixir, Mar 20, 2001.

1. DarkElixir

Oct 30, 2000
    I know of a place nearby that sells a SWR Workingman12, but before i get it I was wondering if it packs enough punch to play at gigs. Thanks!
  2. Depends on the gig, the music etc. I used to have one when I was in a rock covers band. I used the amp on its own for rehearsal, and sat it on top of a 1x15 cab for gigs. On its own will be OK for duo, cafes, jazz type gigs, but not for anything full on.
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'd say yes.
    buy it depends on which bass are you playing, how do you play and what kind of music you intend to play live.
    i played live with my pop rock band with my rickenbaker bass (not a powerful bass in the end...) with an ampeg b 100, 100w and it was much more than enough.
  4. johnevans

Mar 21, 2001
    Kingsport, TN
    I've used the WM 12 for about 2 years now with a Fender Jazz (w/EMG pickups) in a 25 piece big band. The volume of this amp I would call adequate for a small to mid-sized area (though we have played in a gym before). The amp has a good clean sound relative to a Peavy TNT 130 (& about 1/2 the weight!). For a rock band, this amp is probably not a good choice - not enough UMMMPHH. I just bought a Pendulla PentaBUZZ and have found that the B-string really works the 12" speaker on this amp. I'm considering trading for a WM 15 - Hope this helps.