Swr workingman 15 for small church

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by happychicken, Nov 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Hi all.
    I have another thread for questions on my personal set up but this is unrelated.
    I see in craigslsit an SWR workingman 15 for 200 bucks. The church I will now be playing every week in is a room about 30ft by 65ft. There will be three vocalists, guitar, piano, and drums. I keep reading this combo isn't very loud but I am wondering if that would be enough for this room. Obviously as I am just buying this and giving it to the church I would like to keep it inexpensive but also sound good. Any comments about this combo are appreciated!

NJSouth likes this.
  2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    It weights over 60 lbs., is hard to carry because of it's physical form, and handle placement on top is lame. Not real loud, but should work OK, if you keep the rest of the band in check—unless you need really deep loud Gospel-style lows on a 5-string. Offer $160.

TripleDouble likes this.
  3. Wouldn't be too bad if your not lugging it to church every Sunday. If your leaving it at the church you may want to look into some peavy combos. You may find something like that a bit cheaper and would probably put out even more volume. Check the classifieds here on TB also. Some good deals pop up, but most folks don't want to go through the trouble and expense of shipping. Also are you running through a PA? If so you could probably get something even smaller and use it like a monitor. One church I played in didn't even have amps onstage. The bass went through a DI only. Worked fine.

4. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Interesting. This is why TB is awesome. I thought that was a great deal apparantly not.
    We will not be run through PA. The speakers there wouldn't handle the bass.
    I have a few 5 strings but the lowest I would play would be e flat.
    I bought a line 6 lowdown 10 but I don't think it's going to cut it
    What about this ampeg combo let me get model number

5. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    It's a pretty good deal and it will be plenty loud.

Rogatien022 likes this.
  6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    For a romm that size it will do fine. I use a Tech 21 Bass Power Wedge (60W powered 10" speaker) and my Zoom B3 as a preamp for rooms that size and it works fine..Like others have said iof you are going to leave it there then as long as it works it should be fine but I would consider looking around a bit. I had an SWR La-15.. and it served it's purpose but it was a mediocre amp. Where are you?

7. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Who ARE these people saying it's not loud? I mean it's not the amp to compete with raging Marshall Stacks, but I don't know of a Combo that is.
    I went from a 300 watt Fender stack to one of those because of the tone and I never looked back. It's a LOUD Combo - and that's only at the 125 Watts it runs at with the internal speaker - if you use an extension it goes up to 175 and you have more speakers running - so LOUDER.
    For a church it is ideal.
    The only reason these things go for cheap is they are HEAVY and hard to lug like everyone says but for the situation you are describing it should be just about perfect.

8. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks everyone!
    I am on Long Island in New York. I know a Hartke kickback 15 was enough for the room so I'm thinking this SWR would be also. The fact that it's heavy doesn't really matter as it will be stationary for the most part

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    That is a tiny room, and the amp will be more than enough (almost any non "practice" combo would be). Again, the issue is that it is a heavy amp. Of course, if it is staying in the church, that shouldn't be a big concern.

My suggestion - go to your local music store to get an idea of what is out there, and then try out that amp and compare.

10. David Cardoza

David Cardoza

Apr 16, 2004
    Used one of these at our band rehearsals... low volume rehearsals at that (blues band), and used it live
    when my GK800 was is the shop. Sorry folks, not enough power here... farted out, even with EQ adjustments.
    Nice tone, but not enough beef.

packhowitzer likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    OP, how about this for another option? What are you getting for your personal amp? I have always liked the idea of a light class D head and multiple cabs. Think about this:

- get a Carvin BX-500 ($349), GK MB-500 ($499), or some similar 300-500 watt head. They start around $350 and go up depending on what you want.
    - get a pair of neo cabs - either 2x10s or 1x12s. GK is a good bang for the buck.

Keep one cab in the church, the other cab where you rehearse/practice. Then for church, you only have to carry the head and your amp. That also will give you a rig that will take you through most gigs, as you grab the cab from the church.

If you get lucky and find a cheap used 1x10 or similar to keep at home, you never have to carry a cabinet other than for gigs.

Makes life really easy, and you always use the same head, so you know what tones you need to get from it.

12. Right now Carvin has a lot of bass gear on sale. The bx250 which is a great head was about 170.00. I have their mb15 combo with that head and it smokes.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  13. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yup - depends on your ultimate needs. I don't think the 250 has enough power for rock band gigging, but for church and rehearsal, it is more than enough. Plus, their DI is quite good - I've used that for recording, and the sound is great.

I am less impressed with their cabs - decent, but not amazing sounding, but they are bulky and heavy compared to other options.

14. I have no problem being heard in a rock setting with mine as long as I run it with the Ext cab. Without it it may run out of steam a bit. Back in the 70's I ran a sixty watt tube head into two 15's with no pa support and I was heard, but it definitely had that overdriven tone!

15. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    I gigged with one of these for a couple years. I always kind of hated it and was disappointed that I had bought it. It wasn't very loud, was awkward and heavy/poorly balanced for what it was, sounded bland and weak and the mids stunk. I bought it as my "big amp" then for jazz and funk gigs after using a Workingman's 10 for a while, which on the other hand ruled as a grab n go jam amp (for the 90s). Personally, I'd pay no more than $100 USD for one of these, knowing it would never have to be moved or the volume pushed by any kind of rock-ish drumming.

Jim Carr likes this.
  16. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    We renting at the church so it is assumed that whatever I leave there will be used by other people. I can't leave my main amp there and I do t want to leave the other congregation with nothing by taking the head back and forth. Therefore I am looking for a low cost alternative. Any ideas please let me know

17. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    @happychicken Again, your needs are not as great as what other posters here are saying. This isn't a 12 piece band, it isn't rock, and you are playing in a small room. Figure out what the church can pay, and take a tour of the local music stores that have used stuff, as well as pawn shops.

In situations like this, I always like Peavey as an option. Decent tone, decent price, and built like a tank - not likely to need repair, despite different people playing it. The main reason there are so many out there used is not that people don't like them, but they are like vampires - you can't kill them easily. I was at an open mic last night, and they had a Peavey Basic 15 - small looking amp, but pumped out plenty of volume with a decent tone.

18. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    If a 125 watts and a 15 are farting out that is NOT a love volume rehearsal.

19. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Those are all good options - but hardly comparable to the amp he's looking at which is $200 - that is less than HALF as much than what you are suggesting at the bottom end - at the top end you are talking 4 or 5 times as much.
    I agree that if one has the money and is building a rig from the ground up these 80s and 90s monstrosities are ridiculous as far as mobility, but for a small church where it is going to basically live a heavy and low-value amp is the way to go.
    If ONE of those pieces gets stolen from the church he'll be out way more than this - which is unlikely to get stolen for the reasons you keep enumerating - it's heavy, it's ugly and most people think that 125 watt amp is not enough. This is CHURCH for crying out loud it's likely accompanying acoustic guitars and a bit of piano.

20. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    OP was also talking about his private rig - my suggestion was to combine the two. I agree for church only, a combo is more than fine.

danosix likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021