1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR workingman 15 or Fender Rumble 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by russpurdy, Sep 28, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Used SWR or new Fender, roughly the same price. Only using for jamming at home and have had reliability issues with stuff in the past so I'm nervous about buying used. What would you go for? I play a mix of everything and have a big rig for gigging.

2. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    USED SWR anyday of the week its 160watts stand alone...They were pretty nice as well.

3. Hi.

SWR.

Regards
    Sam

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    SWR is a solid 160 watts into a 15" woofer. SWR has a well deserved reputation for excellent sound quality and high reliability. As much as I am Fender Rumble fan, I'd go with the SWR as long as it is in very good to excellent condition, and has all the features you need. The Rumble 30 with 30 watts into a 10" woofer simply isn't in the same class. Look at the Rumble 150 and compare even if it's out of your price range.

Fender owns SWR and recently put the brand 'on the shelf' (along with Sunn) as it wasn't selling well enough to keep itself alive.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The WM15 can get louder and deeper than the Rumble 30, but it is big and very heavy. However, the WM15 is a reliable amp. I'd say a used one, assuming it has not been abused or left in dampness would make a good backup/rehearsal rig.

6. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. The swr is way more than I need for jamming at home but I may get it just in case. The Rumble would be a better fit size wise and I like the built in gain section but it may not make sense to pass up a bigger more powerful amp at the same price.

7. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

Aug 5, 2009
    Clinton, IA
    Only if the SWR passes inspection. I bought a used WorkingPro 15" combo only to find out it had been abused ( my fault for not paying better attention) and now the empty cab is a tabletop in the living room.

Plus, it's a naturally clean amp, so if you like grit you'll have to add a pedal. Make sure it's healthy or pick up the Rumble 30, or as mentioned, save up for the Rumble 150.

8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    OK Russ, and I also misread your initial post and now see you have big gig rig.

So yes, the Rumble 30 does indeed meet your needs better than the too large & too powerful SWR.

Another very cool small Fender bass amp is the Bronco 40. Small footprint. Perfect for digital recording, and personal practice needs. You may or may not like the digital amp modeling & effects. Just another very reasonablely priced option at $250 vs $180 for the Rumble 30.