1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR WorkingMan 210c vs. Carvin R600 210 Tiltback

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phaze1todd, Jul 25, 2012.

1. phaze1todd

phaze1todd Since when did we start getting paid by the note?

Dec 7, 2008
    Scranton, PA
    Got the choice between the two at same price. Gig is classic rock trio 200 people max small clubs. Axes are G&L SB1, LTD Vintage 204 and Squire CV 60's P. Also playing thru Zoom B9.1ut.

Need to decide by tonight! HELP!

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Carvin R600 buries the WM210. Nice tones, loud, good compressor, tube drive, both are heavy.

IMHO, skip the combos and get a micro head and 2 8 ohm 210 cabs, GK, GB, Epifani, Eden, etc. Used is better. Modular is best.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 the limitation with either of these choices is the 210. Not all bassists could be satisfied with less than 410's, for volume issues. But, IF either combo is capable of adding an ext cab, a matching 210 would do nicely.

4. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    That is the choice that shows even the best option is "locked" by the the combo configuration. I vote, used GB Shuttle 6.n or GK mb600/800, plus any good used cabinet(s).

5. phaze1todd

phaze1todd Since when did we start getting paid by the note?

Dec 7, 2008
    Scranton, PA
    Well, it was decided for me. Got to Music-Go-Round and the Carvin, even thou it was listed in the website, was out for repairs. So now I guess you can call me, call me a WorkingMan. . . for $220.

6. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Good price. I had a WM12 and a WM15. Be careful not to use the Enhance/Contour knob on the pre amp. Also, keep the mids boosted. A compressor, like an EBS Multicomp will help you wring every last dB out of it.

If I were in your shoes, I would NOT pair it with another WM210 or even a WM115. Why?
    Conventional Wisdom says use an identical cab, but I say, get a BETTER second cab, and use it as the basis of a modular rig when you ditch the combo for a more powerful head.