SWR Workingman 4004

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    A local music store is going out of business and I can pick one of these for $300. I am experimenting with a small rig for my new 210 cab.

What are your thoughts, experiences with these?
  2. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I had one for literally 4 days and exchanged it for a Bass350, I then exchanged the 350 in for a SM-900.

What I didn't like about the WM4004 was to my ears the tone lacked a lot of body. It just wasn't good enough for my ears I guess. It was thin and not powerful enough for my band. I needed a lot of headroom and a clear punchy tone back then and the 4004 did not cut it at all.

This was just my experience. I also found other WM series to be on the lacking side. I also tend to be VERY anal about my tone so........:rolleyes:
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I borrowed a WM 4004 for a gig about a year ago. I thought it seemed underpowered and sounded thin (with a Jazz Bass with EMG's and SWR WM's 2x10 and 1x15 cabs.) Take your 2x10 to the store and check it out. It may suit your needs for low volume situations.
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    300$!? Pick one up for me! I have been running a WM4004 into an ampeg 410 cabinet, and I don't have any problems whatsoever... The workingman series, like any SWR, really doesn't add a lot of color to your tone, unlike say an Ampeg SVT head...
    I have never had a problem with mine sounding thin our underpowered, infact I've thought highly of the headroom of this amp, never had a problem keeping up with any situation... For 300, that's a great deal!

5. It looks like I am making a deal on a SWR Bass 350 instead. If you want me to get this for you, or give you info on the deal PM me. :)
  6. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I appreciate that! If I had some spare pennies, and needed a head, I would definately talk about that... but I have a nice run of new basses going on that I don't want to disturb, so some more stuff is going on ebay for an MTD Kingston maybe?