Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR workingman 400w

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pthump, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    This amp is getting VERY hot when used for 30 or more minutes. There is no fan.. is this correct? Is it supposed to get hot?

2. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    bumpo

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well I don't own a workingmans 4004, nor have I played one, but I don't think any amp should get really hot after only 30 mins of playing, unless you have everything maxed out at 10 on it.

See if you can take it to a tech or the person/store you got it from, if all else fails you'd probably have to send it to SWR or something.

But first find a good amp tech or take it back.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, that shouldn't happen. I've used one for 2+ hours and didn't have a problem.

5. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    If you are taking the amp below it's recommended ohm load it will heat up quickly. What are you using for cabs?

6. SWR amps run hot. You didn't mention it, and I couldn't find your cabinet of choice in your profile (ahem), but I'll go out on a limb and bet that you're running a 4 ohm cabinet. If this si the case, it's normal. My head (WM 160) is on fire when pushing a 4 ohm cabinet to practice levels. It usually takes less that 5 minutes to cool down to when it can be touched again.

Mike

7. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    swr amps use their outer shell as a heatsink, it's supposed to happen.

8. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Most SWR amps get very hot, they radiate their heat through the chassis. Don't know if the Workingman's series is designed the same way.

9. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    yea im running it through a single ampeg 4x10 classic. Heat prolly normal, was just freaking me out.