1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR workingman questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nataku, Mar 9, 2008.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I just got back from GC, and I picked up a used workingman stack consisting of a 4004 head, a 2x10, and 1x15 cabs. I paid $775ish, and they threw in speaker cables. It sounds great, the only downside is that the carpet is a bit scruffy (sorry for the crappy cell phone camera pic). I have two weeks to wait before I can pick it up, and 30 days after that to return it.

[​IMG]

My main question is, what year were these made? I see on the SWR site that they had an original logo which I can't find a picture of, then they switched to the red/black logo right before the Fender buyout. After that they used the "dome logo" (which is what I think these have?). Here are a few pics of the exact same head someone else had up in the for sale section a while ago:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374958&highlight=swr+workingman+4004

They all came in from the same customer, so I assume they should all be from the same period. I can't find any archived pages online stating retail prices, but the guys at GC said it would've gone for at least twice what I paid when it was new. I have seen reviews online for the head where people have paid as low as $250 new, and some that have paid up to $800. I am fairly certain that I am getting a good deal on this, but I was hoping someone with more knowledge on the subject could enlighten me :).

2. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I've played thru about every bit of SWR Workingman gear. Its good stuff. You can find better/you can find worse. if you like the sound you heard at GC, you will have no problem with that rig. Consider this; 1) if you like the SWR sound, this is a good way to go as you won't lose as much on used equipment; 2) personally, i have found that Workingman (Workingpro) holds up very well to SWR's pro-lines ....usuallly you just get lower wattage ratings; 3) the cabs are keepers; the head, not so much. YMMV

3. I actually like the cleanliness of the SWR sound, just find it lacks a bit on the low end side...

4. That's a decent rig, the Workingman's 1x15 is one of my favorites for 15's. That price seems fair, I believe the cabs sold for $450 each new, the head, around $600.

As far as the year, they appear to have the silver logo which I believe was used from 2003-2006.

That head is a little too clean for my liking, but it warms up with a sansamp or mxr m-80.

The Workingman's cabs seem to have more natural low mids then the Pro series.

Nice rig..enjoy!

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the responses guys! Yes, I dig the sound so i'm not concerned about that, my main issue was making sure I wasn't paying more than I should have to, since I couldn't find much precise info on the retail price of this setup. I'm almost certain now that i'll end up keeping it.