Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Workingman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Z_Bass, May 17, 2003.

1. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    I'm thinking of purchasing either a Workingman's 10 or 12 for practicing with my band. It's all the wattage I need for now. I was wondering if they were alright, and if not whether there are any other amps of the same caliber that are better.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The WM 12 is a great practice amp.

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have had good luck with the WM 12. I will be selling mine, locally, in the next week or so.
    It's a neat amp...has more 'real' features than most combo amps: Direct out, effects loop, tuner out, headphone jack, ability to mix a CD/tape player and listen through the speaker or headphones to practice, ability to use extension cabs, etc. You will like either one.

Kim

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow! I didn't know Eden made a WM series. You learn something new everyday!

brad cook

5. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    You mean SWR. :D
    Or do they???

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you read between the lines a little, you'll find that, while I obviously favor one particular brand, there are others that don't suck too much. For the record, these include, but are not necessarily limited to, SWR (except for Mo'Bass), EBS, Fender (some), Aguilar, EA, and a couple others I can't remember right now. Heck, man, darn! I even played through a GK thingie today, and it didn't royally suck! It definitely (note correct spelling) sucked less than that Mesa M-Pulse doodad. I even played a Bassman 60 today, and was pleasantly surprised, especially considering that it has a 12-inch speaker.

Go figure. Anyway, don't tell anybody about any of this.

7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I have a Super Redhead and a BXR 200. I like them both, but they sound very different. The SWR kind of fills the room with bass, and it seems like I have to turn it up quite a bit to get the volume out of it that I need. The Fender is a much more 'direct' sounding amp. The SWR is rated at 350w and the Fender is 200, but it doesn't take much to make it loud. Fender amps seem to sound louder than they are rated.

SWR makes reasonably good gear with lots of features that are useful, as rok51 mentioned. I have a 750x and it has the same kind of stuff. I like being able to turn the speakers off, makes tunign fast and easy at a gig.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah..I was just funnin'.

brad cook

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Your secret is safe with us.

brad cook

10. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Back to the WM 12...I have a WM 12 and it's great for practice and small or acoustic gigs. Not much bigger, really. Nice acoustic sound for upright or ABG.

Don't expect the WM 12 to have enough power to be an all-around amp, though.

Tornadobass

11. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I used one for my main amp for about 2 1/2 years - it worked fine for rehearsals - but even better for gigs because I could run a DI to the PA