1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Workingman's 12/rusty box..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SquareWaves, Aug 2, 2012.

1. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

Mar 16, 2011
    I recently picked up a pretty old SWR workingman's 12 on craigslist and was curious if it was possible to use my Rusty Box as a pre-amp into it? There's are 3 inputs in front, passive, active and to tuner, and a headphones in the back.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Can run it in the input and balance levels between your external pre and the amps internal pre. Plug it in the effects return if you just want to use the rusty box as the only preamp and just use the amps power section.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to will33, IF the Rusty Box has the juice to run a poweramp by itself. easiest thing to do is run it straight into the amps input, and balance the 2 gain stages.

4. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Rusty does, the one I had was plenty enough for effects return. Just can't bypass it and expect much more than a whisper this way.

5. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

Mar 16, 2011
    So I would be plugging the rusty box into effects receive and not send, correct? What goes in the send anyway? You'll have to excuse I'm a complete caveman when it comes to this stuff.

6. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

Mar 16, 2011
    Thanks will33!!! I just plugged my rusty box into the effects receive with completely fantastic results!!! I'm using the main out in the rusty because I've heard the Line Out is insanely hot and could wreck my amp. Any advice on this??

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Nothing goes in the send. You'd be bypassing the amps built in pre and using your box instead. Going in the input, you are stacking your box and the amps built in pre together, so you have to watch volume/gain levels between the 2 as you are piling a preamp on top of a preamp. Same goes for eq. Don't end up with a double bass boost for example.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'm not even familair with the rusty box bit all pre's work like this. It depends on the output of the pre and the input sensitivity of the poweramp used. Just adjust volumes and gains along the chain so as to get a full sound but not clip the poweramp. There really is no set standard for what a preamp sends out or what a poweramp needs coming in to run it to full power.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you want dirt, just make sure it's coming from the pre. If you clip/overdrive the poweramp, it can put out more than it's rated power and hurt stuff. How far the volume knob is turned up has nothing to do with this.

Perhaps somebody could explain further, I'm on a phone here. If you're getting a nice sound that cleans up as you roll off the volume, it's probably Ok.

10. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

Mar 16, 2011
    Any dirt is definitely coming from the pre. I'm going to keep going through the main out and avoid the line out until I get a little more info.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Line out should have enoigh juice to drive a PA style poweramp. Some power sections of bass amps don't need that much juice to drive them.

If it sounds good as is, use it like that. May need to use the line out if you use this with a PA style poweramp. Or if you find yourself playing at a big festival and need to push your sound through 200 feet of cable to the soundman's desk out there in the middle of the crowd.

12. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

Mar 16, 2011
    Can I use a delay before the rusty box if I'm going through an effect out?

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Not sure how you're chaining this all together but most pedals would go between the bass and whatever pre you're using.