SWR workingman's 12 vs. 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Dec 19, 2003.

1. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I am interested in some feedback about these 2 combos -SWR Wrkingman's 12 and SWR Wrkingman's 15. If anyone has owned or currently owns either or both - I'd love to get a review.
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have a 15 I use as a practice amp in my office. I bought it about 5 years ago so the new ones have a couple improvements. Very good amp for the price. Perfect for practice and small to medium sized coffee houses/bars depending on your style of music. You can add an extension speaker which also allows a full 200W instead of 160W. Add a 210 for a little more punch to balance the 15 mud.

Heavy, awkward with a single carry strap on top and a large footprint, no casters. You can add them but I think you'll void the warranty.

You should be able to get one used for 400-500 bucks. I'd go that route. No need to buy new gear.
  3. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks. Just curious where would you put the 2X10 extension cabinet? Would it stack on top or would you put the combo on top? Would a 2X10 with a 1X15 on top be kosher sound wise, does it even matter?
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I use to own a WM10. of the 12 and 15 I prefer the mellower tone of the 12. I think both give the option of attaching an extention 8ohm cab.
  5. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I've owned the 15, and have also used a 12 a few times. Both are small gig amps. I like the tone of the 12 much more, and it's a whole lot easier to carry around. Good luck.
  6. I also own and extensively use a 12.
    It is an older, and in my opinion,much
    more better constructed and sounding model.

Sounds good w/ extension speaker, but I rarely need to go that route. Also, it doubles an occasional DB amplifier.

I have tried the newer assembly line models and imo they are truly not worth spending your hard earned cash on.

The tone of the 12, i find to be much more versatile. It is a heavy, kinda unwieldy sucker though!
  7. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i own the wm 15 160/200 model pre fender and it handles my low b pretty nicely. i've used the wm 12 a couple times too, didn't notice the tonal difference much once the whole band started playing, and i needed the loudness of the 15, so i'm happy.
  8. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got WM 12. I fried a speaker with a loud low-b. My fault. I was too lazy to take a larger rig to a jam session. It was jammin' till it blew. I'm gonna replace the speaker with a JBL, soon as I'm stop wasting time with these video games...
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I tried both the WM-15 and the WM-12, and ended up buying the 12. The 12 just has a tighter sound than the archetypal 15-inch muff monster. Drop a SABDDI in the front end of the signal chain, and it rounds out nicely. Yes sir, I prefer the WM-12 by far.
  10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I previously owned a WM 12 and I wish I still had it now. The 12 is a great little combo. Nice tone and easy to transport.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's something that may be of interest to you.

SWR Workingman's 12 for $300