SWR Workingman's 12 vs. Workingman's 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MM, Oct 25, 2000.

1. I'm looking for a smaller amp, around 100 watts, for reahearsals and gigs where less volume is required. There's a used Workingman's 12 and a used Workingman's 15 for sale locally. Questions: What is the difference in sound? Who's played both and what were your impressions? Who has either one and what do you think of them?

The 15 is quite a bit cheaper than the 12. I haven't been able to get a hold of either seller yet, so I've not played either one. I just want some info in the mean time.

Also, there's a TKO 115 priced in between the two SWR's that I'm considering as well. Any opinions on that amp? TIA.
  2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Both amps (SWR 12 and 15) have great sound, however the 15 sounds a little deeper and warmer to me. The 12, in contrast, sounds a bit punchier as well as a little more precise. I have no idea why the 12 would cost more than the 15 unless the 15 is in worse shape or the guy is just trying to get rid of it. Try before you buy to see what sound you like better. The TKO is made by Peavey, correct? If I remember the model correctly, I really didn't like the sound of it - not that it was a bad sound or anything, it just didn't have the kind of sound (warm, rounded lows; clean, precise mids; and sparkling, transparent highs) that I go for. You may like it's sound though, so I'd try it out as well if you can.
  3. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I agree with White Knight on this one. The 12" does sound somewhat more punchier and for that alone I probably would go with the 12". This will probably be my next purchase for a new practice amp. Not being a SWR fan, but I really like these combos.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The WM15 has slightly higher power so together with the larger speaker, it's definitely the better choice for gigs. It also has a more sophsticated EQ than the WM12. With the one for sale cheaper than the WM12, if it's in good shape it's a no-brainer.

Soundwise, the SWRs will smoke any Peavey TKO I've ever heard.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I own a WM 12, and I A/B'd it with a WM 15 before I bought it. The WM 15 sounded a little more "boxy" and lacked the clarity of the WM 12. The 12 loses a little on the bottom end, but that can be remedied with the ever-faithful SansAmp Bass Driver DI. It was an easy choice to go with the 12 for me.