SWR WorkingMan's 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist4dalord, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Hello all. I just got a non-functioning SWR WorkingMan's 12 100-Watt 1x12" Combo for free. It will not turn on when plugged in. The fuse is missing, and it says it's a 3A SloBlo... Is that what could be wrong with it? I found a site that's selling them for $1.69/each. I have very little electronics experience... Should I just take it to a pro?

EDIT: Please note this is the discontinued WorkingMan's... NOT today's WorkingPro... The "head" section of the amp is angled down, and there's a little platform kind of thing.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Slap in a 3A slow blow and see if fires up. It definitely can't work with out the fuse.

3. Do most hardware stores carry fuses? I found a site but if I don't have to use it I won't.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Yes.

5. Hi.

Hardware stores usually carry fuses, so yes, ask there first.

If the little screw-in fuse holder end is missing too it's a trip to an electronics store like Radio Shack.

My guess is that it just blows again, or the amp just hums without any sound.

Sounds like the problem that is common with the WM10 amp chip, might be the case here as well. The chip itself is around $10, to replace it, $100. As long as the PCB is out of the chassis, it's a common practice to replace all the filter caps at the same time. Will cost You an additional $10 in parts, but the labour shouldn't change.

If You're not handy with electrical appliances, take it to a pro. Good amps these old WMs, worth fixing IME/IMHO.

Regards
    Sam

6. Thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming! I went to Home Depot today and bought the fuse, but as T-Bird pointed out, the cap is indeed missing. So I took it to a pro. He says even without a fuse, it should turn on. So I left it there for his "amp guy" to check out. $25 :eek: (I'm 17, not a lot of cash I can spend... COLLEGE.) So anyway, he's going to open it up and see if he can diagnose the problem. I hope you are correct, T-Bird, about these amps being worth the repairs. I don't want to shell out $xxx for someone to tell me it's not going to work. Thanks guys keep it coming! I'll let you all know when I get it back and if it works. :bassist:

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021