Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR WorkingMan's 15 Combo Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PaulRamon, Aug 11, 2002.

1. I have to admit that I am a non-technical player and my amp has settings that I don't understand like Aural Enhancer, Transparency, Effects Blend etc. I'm just wondering what position most of you are dialing in the settings at across the board. I play mostly small to medium size clubs if that makes a difference. My bass is Fender Precision and my pick-ups are non-active. I use a pick mostly. I prefer the darker, bassier classic sound (Paul McCartney, James Jamerson). Any input or help would be much appreciated.

2. i set it flat, aural enhancer and gain halfway, tweeter off, and make sure the effects blend is all the way off because it seems to suck tone when it's not, for some reason. if you're looking for a paul mccartney tone, you should just roll off the tone on your bass to compensate for the brightness of the pick. also, you might want to try flatwound strings, and picking closer to the neck.

hope that helps.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How high you set your gain would have to do with your bass, strength of output signal and whether you plug it into active or passive input. Either way plug it in and start plucking as hard as you would in normal playing and turn the gain up until the clipping light starts flashing, then turn it slightly back down from there, it's ok if the clipping light flashes every now and then on a particularly aggressive note. Once you find the correct gain then adjust volume from there using the master volume knob. With my bass the WM15 would start clipping a tad prematurely IMHO so the gain would have to stay a bit lower than I would have liked.

I used to set the aural enhancer at about 11 o'clock (but I hear that many people prefer 2 o'clock). That particular knob boosts low fundamental, certain highs and low mids up until about 2 o'clock, past that points it starts to cut out some mids (info was originally obtained from the FAQ at the swr website) I also turned the tweeter off as I found that it was somewhat noisy and there was fairly good high end response from the 15 alone. I generally left the transparency knob at about 9 or 10 o'clock as I just didn't dig the sound caused by cranking that one. Don't worry about effects blend unless you are running the effects out of and then back into the back of the amp. Turn it all the way counter-clockwise and forget about it. As far as the eq knobs...I left them flat (12 o'clock) and adjusted according to venue. This was all on a first generation WM 15. I doubt it's changed since but it's possible.

If you want to see some of SWR's suggested settings for different sounds from that amp then go to www.swrsound.com, then click on products on the left menu bar. Then click on workingman's series, then workingman's 15, then "Suggested settings." Pretty useful. Use your ears, experiment and dial up something you like and also listen to the sound man when you play gigs.

brad cook

4. Thanks to both of you, very helpful. I also didn't realize that SWR had a suggested settings page. I printed off your answers and the
    SWR page and now I'm good to go! Thanks again.

5. I also pull the limiter off.
    Just an F.Y.I.

6. Paul,

Have you thought of trading that SWR for an Ampeg? Ampeg amps generally have that darker classic sound you are talking about. SWR is more suited to modern sounds IMO.

I like Ampeg and SWR so I'm not trying to push a brand name on you. Just a thought.

7. count funkula, actually yes I have thought about trading for an Ampeg but that's a little more than I want to carry. Also, my band does some modern stuff too and the SWR seems to be a pretty good compromise. My wife is a lead guitarist in a three piece band and she has been on me to go for the tube sound.
    Gruffpuppy, Why do you pull the limiter defeat?

8. I am just used to playing with out one.
    I find it easier to play with out it.
    Sometimes when I do a slide the volume swells more than I want it to.
    I know a limiter should stop that from happening but it doesn't seem to, all and all I just am anal about anything getting it the way of the way I play.
    Not really big on any effects.

9. Well, we had a rehearsal tonight and I used the suggested settings for rock from SWR's site and my amp never sounded so good. I'm going to experiment with some of your (all of you) other suggestions and I'll keep you posted. It was great tonight just having a good reference point. We're playing at the Newport (KY) Bar-B-Q Fest Sunday from 3:30PM -6:30 PM. We did the Cincinnati Seafood Fest last Friday so it'll be easy to compare the difference. Thanks again all!