Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Workingmans 15 Mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Oct 17, 2005.

1. I got a technical question that maybe someone can help me with:

The amp section of the Workingman 15 combo is essentially the same as the Workingman 2002 head is this correct?

What I want to do is take the amp out of the combo (as my speaker is blown) and i wanna hook up two 8 ohm 410s by daisy chaining them via the external speaker out on the back of the amp...

I know this amp is a little under powered for the two 400 watt 410s I'll be pushing, but its just a temporary situation until my new head comes in. Besides, the Workingman 2002 head is built for the same situation right?

Would this be fine? is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

2. Yes, it is the same amplifier section as the 2004 (not 2002) head.

Is the cabinet ported? You could reach inside and unplug one of the leads to the speaker. (does it have a tweeter? If so, see if you can remove it before the crossover) Or, maybe you could unscrew the woofer (it is blown, right?) and do the surgery through that big hole. I would look for something to unplug rather than cutting, for the sake of resale value.

3. Surgery was a success...!

Sorry , my bad, I actuallt meant the 2004 (like you PaleMelanesian said)

Well, it works fine, the head is powering the two 410 cabs at 4 ohms just fine, although the lack of power is really apparent, and I have to push the head pretty hard to get the volume out of it that I desire. I'm a little scared of pushing it too hard, as I've heard under powering cabs can damage the speakers just as easily as over powering, so I been trying to keeping things from clipping to be on the safe side...

hopefully my new head comes in soon!

4. Just keep an eye on the master limiter light. As long as that's not lighting up, you'll be fine.

I have a 2004, so we're in the same boat now.

5. As far as I know, it's ok for the master limit light to come on every now and then (thats just the soft knee limiter doing it's job), but the preamp clip light is the one I worry about...!!!

6. After re-reading the manual, it looks like you're right. The preamp clipping is more dangerous to the speakers.

I like to set my gain so it just blinks the clip light on the hardest notes, and then back off a touch (about 2:00 with my bass). Then I use the master to control the overall volume.

By the way, what new head are you getting?

7. I'm looking at either a fender all tube 300 PRO, the fender 800 pro, or an ampeg SVT4 - I've tried out the fender 800 and Ampeg, I'm just waiting for the 300 to come in so I can try it out before I make any final desicion, although I have a feeling I willl like the 300, but that remains to be seen...

8. Wow! Aiming high there! :bassist:

I've got no advice for you on any of those. :crying: never tried any of them.