Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Workingman's 15 vs. SWR Black Beauty

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Aug 12, 2002.

1. How much more sweetness do you think is in the Black Beauty compared to a Workingman's 15? Would it be worth the extra $400?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've never played the Black Beauty. I did play the Basic Black more than once when it was around and I played a 1st gen. Workingman's 15 for years.

One thing about the Black Beauty is it's got to be a lot louder than the WM15 because it's 350 watts while the WM15 is only 160 without ext. cab. Adding that to the fact that they both have 15" drivers (possibly the exact same driver?) and you get greater volume.

One thing to ask yourself is "Do I want the subwave effect?" Because that's another difference between the two. The Black Beauty has the subwave octave effect built in and comes with a footswitch for said effect. Also the BB has a tube preamp which could add some sweetness.

Just looking at those features alone, you can see where the extra 400 bucks is going. You get considerably more to work with, tone and powerwise, on the Black Beauty. Having said that, I repeat that I have not played the Black Beauty. I'm awfully curious though!

that's my two cents
    brad cook

3. Yes, the Black Beauty IS worth the extra $.

I own a Basic Black as my first Combo amp and
    it kicked major pro-tone butt over anything "Workingman."

Ask any SWR aficionado and they'll all tell you that
    the SWR tube preamp is much better then the Workingman's solid state pre.

Black Beauty: better speaker, better tweeter, better built cabinet, better pre-amp, and better resale value then the Workingman. What else is there?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm not an SWR afficionado but...

what Donne said. The BB kicks and has a more pleasing tone for me.