Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Workingmans 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AngryArgentine, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Hey, I wanted to know if anyone uses one of these. Are they good? What kind of sound do you get out of them?

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Its a good sounding well built amp. My complaint with it is that it is somewhat bulky making it a pain to move up and down stairs.

3. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i bought mine about a year ago, and am very happy with it. BUT, i agree with MJB in saying that it is a pain to carry up and down stairs. as far as sound goes, for just about any type of music, you can get the sound your looking for. i play mostly rock and jazz, and i love the way it sounds. it has some great features too.

4. They are nice, and very sturdy. I had one fall down a flight of stairs, because of how hard it is to get them down, and It still played beautifully.

If you get one, go to your local hardware store, and pick up for sets of wheels. It is a nice little touch that makes transporting that monster WAAAYY easier.

Rock on
    Eric

5. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I don't really like the sound that the workingmans puts out. It's not very bassey IMO. I was just in the market for a similar amp, and I got the Ampeg B2, I think it sound much nicer, its a little more expensive but its worth it.

6. g_g_force

g_g_force

Jul 10, 2001
    I bought my SWR 15 combo about 2 months ago, and have only played out twice with it so far. Once was in a radio station studio miked. The other time was at a small gig. Both times, the 15 was easy to dial in, and had power to spare. I tried hartke, fender & ampeg 15 combos at the music shop the same day, one after the next for about an hour before coughing up the few extra bucks and walking out with the SWR. With the horn, the slap grooves really have some bite. Great for practice, too.

7. They're good amps but if you play a Ric 4003 like your name suggests I really wouldn't recommend one. They're a bit too modern sounding for a Ric. Rics go better with "old school" sounding amps...Ampegs especially.

8. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    They are nice amps but like all the SWR's ive tried a bit lackin in the lows.Add a Sans Amp-end of problem.Good luck!

9. basstime

basstime

Jun 24, 2001
    Here's the deal...in May
    music123.com had them listed for $525!!! but were on backorder!!!
    so, I emailed zzounds.com the url and they matched the price and shipped the same day!! I had it on my porch in 22 hrs!! No shipping, no tax! $525!

It is Heavy, they need to add a handle on top too.
    But the sound is great, so many ranges....
    Only complaint is it could be louder for 160/200watts.

Micheal Tobias (MTD basses) recomended it to me, can't beat that reference!

Good luck

10. count me in as a satisfied wm15 owner. it is very awkward to carry around, but with casters this would be a near perfect combo IMO. it's plenty loud to rock out with a heavy guitarist and drummer, the tone is great (i like a more middy tone, but it has lows to spare) and the features are perfect, everything you need but not luxurious. some complain about the tweeter, but i like mine. maybe i just got a good one.

bernie - i will be adding a sansamp BDDI soon, can't wait!

11. right now www.guitarbargains.com is trying to sell those for about $800 bucks a pop. Yeah, thats a real bargain, let me tell ya :rolleyes: