SWR Workingman's 1x15T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzV, Mar 4, 2001.

1. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I currently run a SWR WM 4004 through the WM 4x10T cabinet. I'd like to add a 15 to that so that I can get the full 400 watts. In the manual for the 4004 it says that I can run a WM 1x15T, but the SWR website says that cab is rated at 200 watts. If I have two cabs hooked up, won't each get 200 watts? Isn't the 200 watt rating cutting it a bit close? I realize I could go for a different cab, but it sure would be nice if the thing matched up somewhat for appearance's sake. Has anyone on this forum used that combination? How successful was it? Thanks.
  2. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    That should sound great. You shouldn't have any problem with that at all.
  3. The 15 will be just fine. What you want is normally an amp that is rated over the cabinet so that your amp wont clip constantly, which will do damage to both the amp and the speaker. When you keep them equal, the sound should be good. In a local store they have the same thing you are going to buy set up. It looks really cool, and sounds really good. Just not as tall as the Peavey bass 4x12 cabinets. Those things are huge and make for a really big stack.
  4. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I'm fairly new to this, but I thought it was the other way around. The Workingman's 4x10t is rated at 400W and is a 4 ohm cab. This is more than the 260W the 4004 amp is rated, yet the 4x10t is SWR's main recommendation for this amp. I thought the cabinet rating was the maximum rms that the cabinet could handle. If the amp rating should be higher than the cab rating, then you could theoretically hook up a small 8" speaker at, say, 50W to an amp at 1000W and not blow the cabinet. That just doesn't sound right. I'm so confused...
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

JazzV, when you go to an extreme like 1000 watts into a 50 watt cab, too much clean power can indeed blow a speaker.

But for the most part, good, clean power will not blow a speaker, within reason. Such as 400 watts into a 200 watt cab.

One of the reasons that this is so is because of the fact that you are not running 400 watts continously, because of the way music works. Your peaks, or transients will reach the 400 watt limit of the amp, and even exceed it if the amp has a high current transformer and a couple of dbs of headroom.

But your loudest transients are going to be 3-6 db louder than your average signal, which means that most of the time the 400 watt amp is putting out between 100 - 200 watts. And you also have to factor in the short spaces where there is no signal at all. Rests, between notes, etc.

On the other hand, having a cab that is rated higher than the amp(let's say that the amp is rated at 200 watts and the cab is rated at 400 watts) can cause the amp to go into clipping continously, and a square wave clipped signal at high power levels will definitely kill a speaker.

If you tend to play with your preamp volume at 50% or below and your power amp or master volume set at 33% or below, it probably will not hurt to underpower a speaker. But if you are likely to have both controls at 50% or above, continously, you'd better have enough headroom to keep the amp from clipping.

I have seen, at continuous clipping, a 100 watt head blow a cabinet with an Electro Voice 15 that was rated at 600 watts.

There are more experienced guys here, such as Joris, MikeyD, Psycho, and others that I am forgetting that can explain this much better than I can.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I just reread your last post.

Your 4x10 is rated at 4 ohms? According to the website, it is an 8 ohm cabinet.

If it is indeed 4 ohms, then you are already getting the full 400 watts that the head puts out.

And if it is 8 ohms, you cannot hook up another cab.

The WM 4004 is only rated down to 4 ohms, and if you hook up an additional 8 ohm cab, that will reduce the load to 2.67 ohms, which will most certainly fry the head, not your cabinets.
  7. Check the impedence.

If the existing cab is 4 ohms, he cannot add anymore cabinets.

If the existing cab is 8 ohms, he can add another 8 ohm cab.

8. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I meant to say the WM 4x10t is an 8 ohm cab rated at 400W. Is the 400W cab (which is recommended by SWR for their 4004 unit, by the way) going to be ok with regard to clipping with the 4004 amp (rated at 400W for 4 ohms, 260W for 8 ohms)?
  9. bottom line, yes. the sound quality may suffer a tad because you're not pumping that much wattage into the 4x10, but it will work. in fact, last month one of the bass player magazine giveaways included the exact rig you are describing. so it must work.

get back to us on how it sounds, by the way. i want a 4004, a 210T and a 115T. i walked into GC today and they had this EXACT setup there to demo. the G.A.S. about killed me.