Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Workingman's 2004 vs. Peavey T-Max

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dajman1800, Feb 26, 2006.

1. dajman1800

dajman1800

Sep 2, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I bought my SWR head with a Peavey 2x15 cab a while back. I'm considering keeping the cab but selling the head to get the money for a Peavey T-MAX I found online for $200.

I find the SWR horribly underpowered at rehersal; the limiter kicks in when the volume's not even 1/2 up.

I just want some opinions on the T-MAX and how much I should sell the SWR for.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    T-Max is louder, has better EQ to my ears, and is an overall better head for rock and funk. SWR has really been disappointing to me since about the mid-90s. Their power ratings seem to be about half what they should be, and their tone is too scooped when run 'flat' for my tastes.

3. binnerscot@msn.

binnerscot@msn.

Aug 4, 2005
    I personally love the "SWR" sound, but think 500+ watts is the minimum for bass heads to effective in any band/live situation - damned drummers are loud! The T-max is a great head, I just cleaned one up for a friend of mine (scratchy pots - he's had it for years). I parked it right next to my SWR Bass 750 for some A/B action - and it was interesting to say the least. The T-max does some great SWR-ish tones, plus the abilitiy to get a little dirtier than the SWR. The T-max great head, you will certainly enjoy it.

4. dajman1800

dajman1800

Sep 2, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the help you guys
    You've got me totally interested.
    Now, just for the sake of consiteration, how much could I get away with selling the SWR head for?
    It looks and plays like new. Not a scratch on it.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Here's a vote for the Peavey...

- georgestrings

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The two I just saw on evilBay are priced 175 and 197.

7. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    These Peaveys are great.:hyper:

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I used to have it's predecessor, the MegaBass. I had an issue with its EQ points. Didn't like them at all. The TMax is much better-voiced. You'll love it. Especially if you're getting it for 2 Bennies! :eek: Let us know how it works out for you. I'd start the SWR at $175 and see where it leads, if you do the evilBay thing. If you decide to sell it here on the boards, it should move at that price too. Just a thought. But give your fellow TBers first crack at the deal.

9. Probably $175 would be average. I think GC quoted me at that and that's roughly the price i've seen on ebay for them as well.
    While this is a very low powered amp and I certainly recommend a more powerful solution, it sounds like a change in your technique or EQ abilities would help with it firing of constantly at 50% gain?? I can put my gain up on 75/80% up and have the limiter just barely coming on with no issues. Good luck!

10. dajman1800

dajman1800

Sep 2, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks you guys. You've all been so helpful!
    I'm pretty much convinced that I'll buy it.
    I've e-mailed the seller with some questions, and now we'll just wait.
    Thanks again everyone!

11. dajman1800

dajman1800

Sep 2, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Oh no, he's sold it already :(
    Ehh. Oh well.
    Anyone that has one (or knows someone with one) willing to sell, please contact me though.

12. it wouldn't hurt to put a request in the "wanted" section of the classifieds... I've been contacted every now and then for some stuff, good luck!