SWR Workingmans 300 Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Upstairs Dave, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Upstairs Dave

Upstairs Dave

Feb 14, 2001
    Does anyone own or know about the SWR Workingmans 300 Bass Amp Head? I am thinking of buying one for $315.00. Does this seem like a good price for a NOS unit? What did they cost new?
  2. Dave , I had one a few years ago I bought at guitar center that was a floor model for $350. Sold it after a about a year and a half for $250. At the time I was upgrading to the sm400s and really felt I needed the cash. I really regret that decision now as I'm looking into purchasing a back-up head . If memory serves me right they use to go for around $450 or so new. You might find a used head with more power for your 300 bucks but I doubt you'll ever find a better built one than the workingmans 300. This thing is the most solidly built little head I've ever come across. It has great eq section including the aural enhancer and all the connectivity of the pro series heads swr was offering at the time. I would buy a used one for that price if its shown to be in very good shape. If you do get it . one thing I'd recomend is to have a 4ohm speaker load as the rms increases from 160@8ohm to 270@4ohm It handled all the small to medium club gigs I was doing pushing a 4/10 & 115 hartke cabs
  3. I've heard some good things about them and If it's built like my WM 4004 then it's pretty good. The 4004 gives some great tones and a wide variety so the SM 300 should be just as good if not better for providing a wide range of sounds and 300 watts is plenty of headroom for small gigs. I got my 4004 for about $500 US new. Try to look around as you always find some good deals and SWR are made well so there's usually no problem with them, when I was looking for a rig I looked into some secondhand stuff by SWR and it was still like new.