Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR workingmans 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dfreeman, Sep 12, 2002.

1. I finally got a bass head today! No more playing out of my terrible TNT 115! I got it for $290.

What do you guys think about the workingmans 300, i've never played one. I didn't really think about it, I just bought it. Good amp though? Good Deal?

Anyway, this is my first head and I was looking for some recomendations for cabs to use. I was thinking of getting a 1x15 and 2x10, maybe 4x10. But I don't know too much about these things.:rolleyes: it's my first head. Any tips on setups to use?

Doug

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    if it's the head i am thinking about it is 220 watts at 8 ohms/300 watts at 4 ohms. if i were you, i'd get a 4x10 (four ohms) or 2x10 and a 1x15 that is/are very efficient. otherwise you are not going to be heard with just 300 watts in a decently loud mix. other than volume it is a great sounding head.

is it for practice or gigging or what?

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    actually if you can afford/move it, 2 8 ohm 4x10's would be loud enough for most venues. or an 8 ohm 4x10 and a 1x15...

4. This is just to practice with my band, and play small gigs. My guitar player plays a 5150 thats 150 watts. I figure if I can get 300 watts out of it it will be good enough.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I have that same head as a backup to SM-500. I like the head, has a nice clean tone. Classic SWR with a bit less warmth, clarity and volume than the SM-500 but a good head nonetheless.

As far as what you should play it through...I have an Eden D-410T and it sounds good through that but I'd rather play that particular head through a 2x10 or poossibly a 1x12. I'm from the more-power-per-cab-the-better camp and personally I would want probably 3 times that wattage for 2 4x10's. I'm not trying to say that's the "right" opinion...that's just my preference and to each his own. So that's my suggestion, it'd work with 4x10 but 2x10 is preferred.

brad cook

ps - if lack of volume ever does become an issue and you're playing a moderately sized club then there will probably be a PA system that you can plug into and that head has an excellent direct out.