Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Workingmans 4004 Settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Esther97, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Esther97

Esther97

Sep 23, 2002
    Hey ya'll, i just purchased this used SWR Head today, and they forgot to include the Owners Manual. i'm lovin all the possibilities but just curious...What's a good setting for a funk/jazz tone?? I don't Slap, and i play in a "Jamband" so something that cuts through but defiable?? I tried the search and couldn't find any info? thanx guys!

-Esther-

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Have you checked the SWR website? They offer the owner's manuals and suggested settings on the web.
    SWR

3. AH yes... i have an SWR La-15 Small 100 watt combo thing . this may help but i doubt it seeing as how your head is much more powerful and has more controls. when i play red hot chili peppers songs (funk/rock). i usually turn the very bottom tone control of my bass up, the center tone all the way down, and the top volume all the way up. then on my amp i but the bass a little below half way (11 o clock position), the mid all the way down, and the treble at about a 9 o clock position, (about 1/3 of the way). this gives me a great tone for slapping or even to cut through the guitar with my weak amp if you dont want to slap, you can definitely tell theres a bass there with these settings for me. ;) :D hope this helps.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    SoComSurfing is right...I haven't got my 4004 yet, but I downloaded the manual from the site to get a heads up on what to expect, as well as the manual for the cabinets. If you don't have Acrobat reader, you can download it for free directly from the site, and that will allow you to open, save, print, etc. the manual.

Hope to get mine in a few weeks, it's on order...how do you like yours?

5. Esther97

Esther97

Sep 23, 2002
    Wow, i didn't even think of checking the site. Well thanks :D I'm lovin it, Now i know why they're spoken so highly of.

Ok, another question. Can you guys explain how the settings affect the sound?? SWR SETTINGS Especially the Low Mid, Mid, and High Mid. Is that String-to-String, Or East/West on the Neck??

thank you for the help -Esther

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    the eq deals with different frequencies in your signal and not really so much high and low strings or positions on the neck. if you boost the low frequency, all strings will have more low frequency fresponse- same with the other 4 bands. each band will affect each string- i bet i you did a search on eq or settings or a combination of the two, you could turn up a lot more detailed info. sorry, but i don't feel like doing the full explaination. i've got a lot of homework.

heffer, i know it sounds good to scoop mids when you're going solo, but i really don't see how the hell you would ever cut through trying to play live when you've literally cut as much mid-eq as you possibly can. i really wouldn't recommend that to esther... later---

Tom