1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Workingmans 4004

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dsDodgers, Sep 13, 2008.

1. dsDodgers

dsDodgers Banned

Sep 7, 2008
    sunny so cal
    hi
    im looking to pick one of these up
    its from 2007 and in good condition
    im having trouble finding info on it

my questions are:
    how much power will i get with 1 8 ohm cab?
    can i get a nice vintage rock tone out of it?
    what is a nice 410 to pair with it?
    any other information is greatly appreciated

thanks

2. From the archive section at SWR:

-----
    WORKINGMAN'S 4004 (BLUE FACE / RED LOGO)
    The first upgrade to the Workingman's 300 features a 400 watt RMS @ 4 Ohms power section, discrete solid state front end, five band cut/boost EQ section, variable limiter, standby on/off switch, carpet covered case with one extra rack space, tuner send, XLR balanced out, speaker fuse.

Production Period: 1999 to 2002
    Final Retail Price: $799.00(midnight blue/dome logo)
    -----

Disregard the "blue face - red logo" thing because I think the one you're looking at was technically unchanged from the red logo ones.

I would suggest a 4 ohm Avatar 410 neo. Just me. I loved the tone of my older Workingman's 300. I had a WM410 cab with it, which was only available in 8 ohms so I was putting like only 160 watts to it. It did fine but I pushed it more often than I wanted to.

So I say get a 4 ohm cab for sure.

3. dsDodgers

dsDodgers Banned

Sep 7, 2008
    sunny so cal
    wow thanks
    so that answers 1 question
    these still remain:

can i get a nice vintage rock tone out of it?
    what is a nice 410 to pair with it?

thanks

4. I didn't exactly make a list but the Avatar would be my first pick, unless you wanted to go with Aguilar or Epifani or Berg or something. The SWR WM cabs only come in 8 ohm I think.

Also see ThePerfectBass.com for some great pricing on various cabs. And of course AvatarSpeakers.com.

5. dsDodgers

dsDodgers Banned

Sep 7, 2008
    sunny so cal
    well i was gonna go used to save some change, butt hanks for the info, ill look into those in the classifieds here and local

6. That's where the Avatars come in. They're priced like a used bigger-name cab. If you peruse these forums, you'll quickly find out a TON of folks use and LOVE Avatar cabs.

7. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    If my memory serves me correctly, the 4004 can't be from 2007 because SWR had released the WorkingPro series by then as a replacement.

I used to have a 4004 (with the red logo), and I thought it was a good amp for my needs. The only thing I ever had go wrong was the power switch wore out and had to be replaced. It had lots of features I really liked, such as the effects loop, tuner out, and the speaker mute on the front of the faceplate. It also had a headphone jack. My only real complaint is that the built-in XLR doesn't handle phantom power very well, so you have to be careful when going direct.

I ended up replacing it after about 6 years with an SWR 550X.