swr workingman's 4004

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Oct 20, 2002.

1. i already ordered a avatar b410, im gonna pump it with the swr 4004, anyone have this amp? any comments on volume and eq?
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I use the 4004. Nothing bad to say about it.

It is a workhorse with a good EQ and ample power for my purposes.

If you play with a loud drummer and a loud guitarist, It probably wouldn't have enough raw power.

I guess the best question to ask is "would I buy another one if the one I have got stolen"? The answer is a definite yes.

There are definitely better amps on the market but for the money I would rate the 4004 at least a 9 on a scale of one to 10.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the wooly carpet used for the cover material. Everything but money sticks to it.

3. Fretless38

Nov 26, 2008
    New Haven, IN
    I have had the 4004 for about I year. I play a warwick corvette std. fretless and I LOVE the "middy" tone. It usually goes through a GK goldline 4x10. I recently added an Eden 1x15, and the stack sounds good, but not quite powerful enough for a full stack in my opinion. I wish there were a way to use TWO workingman's 4004 amps for the same stack. That would get the job done!
  4. dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    i used to have a workingmans 160, which is the predecessor to that amp.

it was an awesome amp, workhorse does not even begin to describe it. i did many rock and roll, and blues gigs with it. i had it running into a 4ohm genz benz xb210t and it sounded phenominal.

i wish i never got rid of it, and i never see them used, so either they all died, or people hold on to em.

id guess the latter
  5. SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I've had a SWR 4004 for about 6 years. It's weak on volume and colors the sounds too much for me. It's now my backup and I'm using a Carvin BX1200. I use an Aguilar GS112 and an Avatar Br210 Neo. You might like the SWR sound, it just wasn't for me. Even at medium volumes the amp just doesn't seem to put out the 260 watts at 8 ohms and 400 at 4 ohms that is claimed. My main gig bass is a stock 63 Fender Jazz. I've had the bass for over 20 years and done quite a bit of recording with it so I know what it sounds like taken direct. The Carvin is much more transparent than the SWR, and I prefer that. But you may like or need something different.