Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

swr workingman's 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman60, Jun 5, 2001.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    What do you guys think of the swr workingman's 4x10? Is it a good cab for the money? How's the handling of the low frequency?

2. Old Bass Player Magazine review suggested that one should save the extra money and go with the Goliath. Not rated very well. However, Rocco Prestia seems to like them.

3. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I've got one of those paired up with a WM 4004. I like it a lot; however, I've not really had a chance to really push it since I've only used it in church so far. Sure, I would rather have a Goliath, but it's really hard for me to justify anything more given my level of playing. If I were a regularly gigging bassist, maybe I'd rethink it. I'm planning to add the 1x15T to the setup at some point. It sure does make my Jazz V Deluxe sound sweet, though, especially when I roll off the highs just a tad.

4. EasyBass

EasyBass

Nov 19, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Sure the Golith will be better, but so is the MegaLiath(sp). I jsut bought the Whole set up, the 4004 head, the 4x10 and the 1x15 and I love it. It is plenty load, I have never had it full boar when we play together, Maybe half. When I do push it it can push a lot of air, I am sure it can puish almost as much as the 6x10s. But then again, like everything else, it is all personal likes and dislikes.

5. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    Since you bought the whole setup, how do you like the 1x15t? Does it give you any extra oomph on the low end?

One thing about the 4x10, it's a heavy joker...97 lbs. With the 1x15 and the 4004, you're getting close to 180 lbs total.

6. EasyBass

EasyBass

Nov 19, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    I like the 1X15 a lot, before I had it on bottom and the 4x10 on the top, but then I switched becasue I need to use the casters, that only go on the 4X10 for some reason, kinda sucks, but helps a lot with moving it around. But no I can really feel the 1x15 on the lows it hits you pretty good! I do some slap as well and it keeps up pretty well.

7. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I asked an SWR rep about the 4x10T casters. He told me they were removable without unscrewing the bases. I'm going to try that tonight. I'd like to put the 15 under the 4x10. If all I have to do is pop the casters in and then roll, that'll be ok. I was mostly concerned about the sound of the 1x15 as it's only rated at 200W, which the 4004 will give it with both cabs connected. Do you notice any difference in quality between the two cabs?

8. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I checked my 4x10's casters. Yes, they are easily removable. Pop 'em out and just get that 4x10 on top of the 1x15, and you're cooking.