Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

swr workingman's 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flea173, Sep 14, 2003.

1. flea173

flea173

Aug 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    What is wrong with my cab? I have a SWR workingman's 4x10 that i got used maybe six months ago, and i've noticed recently that there is major distortion. Maybe this problem has existed all along, except i'm just playing louder now (larger venues). I have a GK 700 that puts out 380 watts, and I can't use all the power because the cab starts distorting. Is it because it's a 4x10, or because it's a workingman's? I'm considering trading this p.o.s. cab in and getting something more powerful by GK or a 1 x 15. HELP A BROTHER OUT!!!! Thanks in advance.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    sounds like you are clipping your amp or hitting the wm with too much lowend or possibly both. what are your EQ, gain, and master volume generally run at? what kind of signal are you hitting the GK with from your bass?

3. flea173

flea173

Aug 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I don't think I'm clipping because, although I play through with an active bass, I have the signal limiter on and the clip warning light doesn't light up. The EQ is pretty much flat, and I'm unable to turn up the gain very high without the sound distorting.

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Just for laughs, check and/or replace the battery on your bass.

5. flea173

flea173

Aug 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    would that really make a difference, because I notice the volume difference when I switch on and off the active pickups.

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Now that you mention the volume drop, It may make all the difference. If your active volume is much less than your passive volume, it's probably the battery going dead. Dead or weak batteries make the pre-amp in the bass sound distorted and awful.

Get thee to a convienience store or raid your tuner or pedals for a 9 volt.

7. flea173

flea173

Aug 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    no, its much louder when the active pickups are on. I really think its an issue with the cab.

8. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Try cranking the gain on the amp with your bass in passive mode and see if you have the same problem at a similar volume level. If it still distorts, it's probably your setup, but if not it could very well be the bass. Otherwise, it's possible you're underpowering the cab - if it's an 8 ohm cab, the GK will put someting like 240 watts into it. Nice head though, I used to have one.

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    change the battery first and foremost. it's like a four dollar investment.

if that doesn't cahnge it...
    i believe the impedance of your cabine is 8 = 240 watts which isn't all that hard to run out of despite GK's being very loud. also eventhough you are running the amp flat, what EQ are you hitting it with from the bass? is it a newer head where you have to use a bridged-mono speakon (or banana-plug if it wil ltake one) to get the bridged-mono into one cab? are you doing this?

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    i've heard that some active basses can clip their own internal preamps by underpowering the signal coming off the passive coils??? does it clip even when master GK volume is low and guitar is cranked? is it possible your clipping your input on the GK? does it distort in passive mode?? are you plugged into the active input on the preamp?

try this: guitar passive and guitar volume off, preamp gain about half, master output volume about 1/2 to 3/4, play guitar in passive mode (connected to passive input) slowly turn up volume on guitar. try the same in active mode only connected to active input.

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    also 380watts may just not be enough for you. I can easily get my SWR 350 to distort going into my two Aguilar GS-112s, or should I say I can get the limiter to come on! I don't run without it.

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    also 380watts may just not be enough for you. I can easily get my SWR 350 to distort going into my two Aguilar GS-112s, or should I say I can get the limiter to come on! I don't run without it. and I try not to run with it blinking too much.

that might be a clue for you if you limiter is not blinking you must be clipping before the power amp, either in the GK preamp or the guitar.