Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Workingman's Combo to External Cab. . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The1ManMoshPit, Feb 17, 2001.

1. The1ManMoshPit

The1ManMoshPit

Jan 2, 2001
    Alright. I have an SWR workingman's 12, which is 100 watts when you just play it as a combo, but can supposedly go to 120 watts when you plug it into an external cab. Anyway, this one time a guitarist had his marshall stack over, and I plugged into it just to get a feel for what it would be like through a cabinet, but then I couldn't adjust the sound. (ie. my volume control no longer worked). Before you ask the 'stupid guy' questions, the cabinet was 8 ohms, which is the minimum (maximum? :) ) that my amp can handle. I plugged everything into the proper place, and yadda yadda. All I'm wondering is, is it possible to get a good, louder sound out of this amp (ie If i don't plug it into a Marshall Guitar Cabinet. . .), or am I going to have to buy bigger for even a slight sound increase?

Just a - wonderin'

Andrew

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like you plugged the speaker into the preamp out.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Munji: is that signal strong enough to be audible at all through a cab?

Onemanmosh: Plugging in more speakers to your amp won't really do much to volume, but more speakers move more air, so you'd get more "push". And that is IMO equally important to just plain power.