SWR Workingman's Combos, Spector Basses, and Other Random Topics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basslax, Dec 20, 2001.

1. i have come to the harsh realization that my amp is horrible. so a few questions for all of you:

1) What are the Workingman's combos good for? Rock? Metal? Blues?

2) What amps are Spector basses usually paired up with? (e.g. Warwick and SWR)

3) Can the workingman combos (or any other bass combo for that matter) sound any good for GUITAR? Which one(s)?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Workingman amps are great for practice. They're a bit underpowered for most gig work. I have a WM 12, and love it. It's even better with a SABDDI. And yes, you can play a guitar through them, and they sound good. Probably sound even better with some kind of tube effect up front.
  3. Agreed. My WM15, even with an extension, was too lacking for anything but practise. Nice hi-fi tone, but as Munji sez a tube or SansAmp up front it's a lot warmer. They're popular amps for URB (esp. the WM12) and do sound rather nice for guitar, especially acoustic.

Where would they sit? Probably anywhere but rock/metal/blues (as they're a bit underpowered and hi-fi). For funk/pop/jazz, they're nice.

Spector basses are paired up with whatever sounds good to you. :D I know what you mean (eg the "Rickenbacker thru Ampeg sound", the "Warwick thru SWR/Warwick sound", etc), but it's a dirty subjective topic. It really all depends on what style you're after. There are obvious mis-matchings though, such as playing a high-end Alembic or similar toneful bass through a fuzzy tube head.