SWR "workingman's" or YORKVILLE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slap that G, Apr 19, 2002.

SWR (Workingman's 200W), or YORKVILLE 200W

Poll closed Apr 25, 2002.
  1. Workingman's 200w

19 vote(s)
  2. Yorkville 200w

1 vote(s)
  1. Slap that G

Slap that G

Apr 16, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    JUSt a simple question. I'm looking at 2 amps. both 200 watts....wahtever, forget technicalities, but do i go for Yorkville at all? i've heard several weak things about 'em.

2. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Don't get the Yorkville, it sounds like poo.
  3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    stay away from the Yorkville. SWR Workingman's series is the best "budget" bass gear I've ever heard. I'd even say it's better than a lot of the "pro" stuff I've tried.
  4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Personally, I would go for the SWR. I have been playing through a WM 12 for a while now and I love it. I find that SWRs have a really clean sound (i.e. it doesn't take away from the natural sound of my bass.) Because of it's (the WM 12) performance, I have plans to pick up a Workingman's 4004 head with a WM 410 this summer.
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Slap--I use the 2004 through a 2x10 alongside a 4004 through a 2x10 and a 1x15. I LOVE that 2004! I would say go for it!
    Timbre--You may be set on that 4x10, so just ignore this, but have you considered 2 2x10s? Easier to carry and I prefer the sound a little better. I like having both horns. Not a major difference, but enough for me to stick with the 2 2x10s. Doing that may be a bit more stressful on the budget, though.
  6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    That did cross my mind while I was trying out the 4x10. The only thing that prevented me from trying them was the fact that GC only had one 2x10 in stock at the time. What is the tone like with two horns?

I don't plan on making the purchase for at least another month, so if I do get a chance, I will try out the 4004 with 2 2x10's.
  7. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Between those two I would pick the SWR hands down. Having said that I sat in for a few tunes with another band a few weeks ago.The bassplayer had a 400 watt Yorkville amp and a 115 Yorkville cabinet. When I saw it I went "Yuuuuck". To my surprise it had very credible tone in the medium size club I was in.I was very surprised. Still...get the SWR!
  8. I've got the 200T. it's not a bad amp. i've had it for about a year, and played a couple of bars. it has a great sound. I think it may be a little underpowered at times, but that's probably because it's only 200W. i also owned a bloc80B. an 80W bass amp. it was durable as hell. i've never played an SWR, but i figure the yorkville needs some good points too. go to a store and play them (if possible). don't just go by others' opinions. you may be missing out.
  9. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    As as proud BM200 owner, I can certainly attest to the less than desireable raw sound that the Yorkville produces. I have endlessy tried tweaking the settings of this puppy to get good tone and it's just not happening - I ended up using a Sansamp Bass DI to help out, but it still falls short. That, and the output with no extension cab runs at around 150W, if not less. This barely makes it in live rehearsal situations and this amp is overpowered as a practice amp. I had the opportunity to rehearse for several weeks using an ampeg SVP preamp, Hartke 3500 head and Trace 4x10 cab and have since had to go back to my little Yorkville. I'm currently shopping for a new rig. Wanny buy my Yorkville?
  10. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    generally, two horns can be kind of harsh-sounding and redundant. Just turn the tweeter knob down on the bottom cabinet.
  11. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I also say get the SWR, I really like the 4004 head. Never tried the 2004 but the 4004 is a very good sounding amp. I wouldn't consider it a budget amp because it sounds that good.
  12. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

Buy the SWR, in my opinion the Yorkville has NO character or personality, it's cold and lacking in any dynamics or warmth. Plus the new WM series cosmetics are waaaay nicer than the Yorkville, for what that's worth.The WM series is a great way to get some tone without breaking the bank.
  13. Flatbass11

Flatbass11 Supporting Member

May 29, 2001
    Medford, MA
    I've been using the Yorkville BM400 head for about 4 months and I'm very happy with it. Their speaker enclosures didn't sound as good, so I ended up with 2-112 Bergantinos.

I like the BM400 because it is basically a power amp with a graphic EQ attached. You get a very clean, powerful, uncolored sound from this amp, and if that is what you're after then this amp is a great bargain.