SWR WorkingMan's TOWER information needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thok, Nov 15, 2017.

1. thok

thok

Apr 19, 2010
    Looking at SWR WorkingMan's TOWER, anyone know if they have Eminence Speakers in them? Found a decent deal and wanted to know.

Attached Files:

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Don't know specifically, but even if so, they are likely proprietary models made for SWR and are no longer in production. If any of the speakers in it are in need of replacement, odds are that direct replacements will be very difficult to find. Maybe the same ones are in Workingmans 410's?

Why do you want to know what speakers? Is there a followup question if the answer is yes or no? Try out the cab. May be a great cab in perfect condition and the seller just wants something smaller and easier to lug around. If it sounds good and the price is right go for it, SWR made good stuff.

3. thok

thok

Apr 19, 2010
    Cool, thank you so much for the info. I was just curious as a friend mentioned that it may have Eminence speakers in it. Going to try it out today and see what it sounds like. Thanks again, appreciate the help!

4. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Just FYI in case you didn't know... SWR is no longer around, so if any of the speakers, the crossover, or tweeter are bad, there may be no OEM replacement parts available anywhere. This could turn what appears to be a good deal into a hassle or expensive venture. Generally speaking you can't just drop any random speaker into a cab with good results.

But like I said above, it might just be the seller doesn't need that kind of firepower or wants something smaller/lighter/different and the cab is fine. Good luck.

5. thok

thok

Apr 19, 2010
    Good to know, thank you so much. I really appreciate the help!

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    This doesn't answer your question, but... The Workingman's Tower was the first big cab I ever owned. It was initially branded as the Workingman's Tower T/O/P as it was a Rocco Prestia signature cab along with matching amp. It was perhaps the least SWR sounding amp they ever put out. It was a surprisingly glorious setup. For an 810 it was easy to move, relatively speaking, and it sounded fantastic. If it weren't for the difficulties of moving around an amp and cabinet that size I don't think I would have ever sold it.

7. I'm actually looking into buying the twin of your cab. I asked the fellow selling it to check out the speakers, and he said the only thing they really had on 'em was '130050E'. I'm taking a bet that the 'E' stands for Eminence. Yes, the thought of someday having to potentially replace a seaker somewhat worries me, but that's a minor issue to me.

Also, apparently SWR produced 2 versions of the Tower, one with a blue and red badge, and one with a black/white badge. I believe the blue and red ones were the earliest, made for Rocco Prestia.

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I had the later black/white badged one, and it was a fantastic cab. Such a great sound.

sectsmonk likes this.
  9. thok

thok

Apr 19, 2010
    awesome!, yea i pulled of the back panel on the cab and found similar #s w/ E at the end of the #. I'm thinking it stand for Eminence as well. Thanks for all the help!

10. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Aren't manufacturer designations typically a two or three digit number, usually separately placed somewhere on the cone? That "E" might be a rev number. Just spitballing. Might mean Eminence, though.