Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Workingman's vs. new WorkingPro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tames, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Alright so SWR (it LOOKS like) is dropping their Workingman's series and replacing it with a slightly more powerful/sexier looking WorkingPro series. Obvious improvements (for heads) look to be a 450 watt head (to replace the current 4004) and a 750 watt head... not really replacing any Workingman's. In the heads there's this new "bass intensifier" circuit which allows you to select a frequency starting at 20Hz with a cutoff ranging from 80Hz to 200Hz that simultaneously increases volume and compresses those frequencies, as SWR says "making a 450 watt amp sound like a 700 watt amp and a 750 watt amp sound like a 1,000 watt amp." I'm a little skeptical. The heads are now rackmountable which is a huge plus to me. The cabinets however, seem to be the exact same as the Workingman's series, except now with a stamped chrome grill with a newer SWR logo. Has anyone had experience with this stuff? Does this "bass intensifier" actually work? Or does it just make you precieve it to be louder when in actuality it'll sound muddy when used on a stage or miked? Would a rig with the 450 watt head, 4x10, and 1x15 be worth replacing my 4004 head, 4x10 and 1x15 Workingman's stuff? I'm just curious and maybe other people are too.

2. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I was watching about 4 online music stores and thinking of getting one of those Workingman 15" cabs to go with my SWR son of bertha 15" cab. The prices were steady falling and I was almost ready to pull the trigger but hoping it would be as good as my SOB cab. Then all at once all 4 stores I'd been watching stopped listing this cab. It was as if they all had access to the last cab and once it sold they new it was out of stock and they all stopped advertising it simultaneously. Maybe these 4 stores are really just one big warehouse and use different names to look like there are more choices. Their prices sure are always close or exact. As for your query, I would hope SWR did not just rewrap the same cabs in prettier paper and not change anything internally, the cab specs. sure look familiar. They are fairly new inventory so maybe as folks buy & try them there will be some feedback on their quality, but I won't be the first. Uh, go ahead, I'll wait here. ;)

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Actually, there was a workingman's 750 head called the Tower of Power head designed by Rocco Prestia. I was lucky enough to get a factory blem for half price after they stopped being made (off of Ebay). They're excellent and have a much smoother sound then the high end heads that SWR makes. I use a Goliath III with it.

I have to say, I HIGHLY doubt you'd notice much of a difference between these WorkingPro's and WorkingMan cabs/heads. I've played a full 4004 rig and I've played full SWR 750 rigs with Goliath III's. Sure, the 4004 isn't quite as good but they sound very similar. The differences only really shine at louder volumes where the tone gets brought out.

You're talking about an even smaller difference since they're just a Mark II version of what you already have. I'd say you have a VERY nice rig and you should stick with a full 4004 rig. It's quite a nice amp, IMO.

-Eric.

4. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    I have a similar setup:

350x with the wm2x10 and the wm1x15
    I was going to buy the 4004, but then I found the used 350x for the same price, so I did that instead.

the wm2x10 was one of the last ones available from the place where I bought it, and the wm1x15 was the last one at the store where I bought it.

I've been thinking about getting a 4x10, but I'm def not going with the wm/workingpro, if I do. may as well get the goliath.

I've actually been thinking about upgrading the wm2x10 with the goliath jr and the wm1x15 with the sob.

uh, all of this to say: if you like the sound out of your set up, and if you can hear it in practice, then I don't think you should upgrade to something that would like sound pretty much the same.