1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR WorkingPro 400 – What’s Up With My Mute Switch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaywa, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    OK, this is definitely the weirdest gear-related issue I have ever experienced. Playing a wedding dance the other night with my WP 400 into a Hartke 410XL and all the sudden the amp just cuts out. I look down at the footswitch and see the Mute has engaged. Thinking I stepped on the switch by accident, I make sure to move away from it, and about two or three songs later it comes on again. This time I KNOW I did not touch the footswitch. So I unplug the footswitch, and the next time the Mute engages and I realize that it has coincided EXACTLY with my singer turning off the switch for our fog machine. At the break we tried it a couple more times and sure enough, each time he turned off the fog machine, on went the Mute in my amp – even when the footswitch was unplugged.

What the heck? Has anything like this happened to anyone else? I bought this amp brand new, just 6 months ago. Is this something I should be taking up with SWR? I’m already regretting I didn’t save a few more shekels and buy a Shuttle 6.0 instead, and this glitch isn’t helping me feel any better about it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That is weird.

Do you know how much current the fog machine draws?
    Does it happen at home?

Do you have any read on how much current was available
    from the wedding's electrical source. Long extension cord?

What I am getting at is what if there was a significant voltage
    drop or spike on the line based on the current demand you had with the fog machine.

See if you can reproduce the circumstances under which this happens at home. That should give you a direction to explore.

Edit: You have already determined its not the footswitch itself it looks like.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Well there was definitely some funky stuff going on with the electrical power in that venue. We blew the breaker three times during the first two sets and finally had to take a short break to re-run about half the extension cords to different outlets. Also our guitarist who is the most tech savvy one of us said it sounded like our amps weren't getting as much current as they needed. And, my amp and the fog machine were both plugged into the same power strip, so you may be on to something there.

We don't play that venue regularly, thankfully. Next gig I will try keeping my amp on a separate power strip from the fog machine and see how that works out.

4. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    You need to go to your local Native American community and get a medicine man to come out and get the mojo out of that amp.

5. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Even better, check the Amp and Fog machine for current ratings.

If you blew the breaker 3 times, I got to say you were not
    getting enough juice into that amp.