SWR WorkingPro 4X10 ohm conversion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dalley, Aug 5, 2005.

1. dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Would anyone know how to go about re-wiring a 4X10 SWR cab from 8 to 4 ohms? I am guessing the same procedure would apply to any 4X10 cab and not be specific to manufacturer. If this is the case, I can probably figure it out using the OHM FAQ thread ...

is this a recommended (and easy) procedure? I know it will void the warranty so I just want to make sure there is no room for error ...
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You won't find it in the FAQ because, generally speaking, it can't be done without changing the speakers. Now, somebody's going to come along and tell you you could put some resistors in the circuit, which is a dumb-ass idea, so forget it. It just means that half your power is going to be turned into heat rather than sound, and the poor resistors will go "POOF!"
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    An 8 ohm 4x10 cab, IF it has 8 ohm speakers, can be wired to a 2 ohm load, but not a 4 ohm load, as the wise Munji-Man proclaimed, without swapping out the speakers.

If that cab isn't for you given your current needs, sell it and buy a decent 4 ohm cab.