Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR WorkingPro Line

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony G, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    SWR WorkingPro Line

With all the hate around here for SWR lately, I kind of get buyers remorse for buying my WorkingPro 700. I ask to all the SWR haters, have you even tried the new amps? They are pretty decently powered for the money, and I think they reproduce the sound of my basses very nicely. I love the new "bass intensifier" circuit. I think it adds a lot of punch down low. Overall I think it is a decent design.

I have never been a fan of SWR cabs past or present, or even their amps for that matter. But I tried this one and thought it had a really cool sound. It was round an punchy, but still very articulate.

Does anyone else here own any working pro stuff and like it?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Also, which might not help my case in promoting my workingpro amp, I used to get the pre amp to clip all the time, and now it doesn't seem to clip at all. Any idea's what happened.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    What's important to you? What you hear? Or what people think?

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    They seem to sound okay, as far as construction goes I can't comment. I do have a general distrust for items of this nature built in factories strategically placed for cheap labor.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I love TB but we're all pretty quilty about getting on the band wagon of the lastest rave (Thunderfunk, Aguilar, Berg, Accugroove...etc). Bottom line is I was playing when SWR came on the market and lit the bass world up! Up to that point bassists had been pretty much ignored. They sounded great then and still sound great. I've still got 2 SWR cabinets (a Goliath and Jr) and they still bring smiles to my face with every note they reproduce. For what it's worth, I've heard good things about the WorkingPro series from a couple of seasoned players in Atlanta. Relax and enjoy!;)

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Well, I think you interperted what I said wrong. I like the sound of the amp very much, but it seems most of the hate comes from fender ruining SWR and making their products cheap.

I don't see how that is the case with my amp, as it seems very well put together, but that is the growing concensus here.

7. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    welcome to economics 101. unless you can shell out top dollars for handmade stuff, you can't avoid.

see that car in your driveway? yeaaaaaa.

toaster? same deal.

its just capitalism.

and as far as the swr workingpro, no idea about the cabs, but i love my workingpro 400 amp.

great deal, great sound. great everything. and i don't care what people here say. cos ppl just end up comparing it o their 1200 dollar mesa or ampeg stack.

and thats just stupid.

8. I played through a WorkingPro 400 and thought it sounded good. For reference, I played it through SWR Goliath Jr. III and SOB cabs (my cabs), and also through a SWR Big Bertha.

I think the WorkingPro heads are a huge improvement over the Workingman's heads.

9. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I believe many of the entry level SWR products have improved, but I wouldn't waste a nickel on anything but the pro-series products.

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

You think the WorkingPro series stuff is considered entry level? Are you telling my I spent $800 on my WorkingPro700 and it is an entry level amp? I really don't agree with this. I would say it is definetly at least mid level, and currently the most expensive amp I've owned, with the previous being a GK 800RB and a 1000RB. I consider this much closer to high end than my older GK stuff.

11. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I would certainly agree that $800.00 is alot of money. All I mean to say is that the pro series, let's say the SM-500, is one of the highest quality amps SWR makes. Your Working Pro 700 has more power, and yet costs $300.00 to $400.00 less. Why do you think this is? Because the best components in SWR amps go into the 900 and the 500 pro. I agree that you are at least in a mid level amp, but personally I would not buy any other amp from SWR.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Ok, I see what you are saying. It makes sense. When I was shopping, it came down between the Genz Benz GBE 600 or the WorkingPro 700. Of the two, I obviously thought the SWR sounded better, and so I bought it.

13. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I visited the SWR factory in Sun Valley many times and saw who was putting the amps together.All i'm going to say is that there is probably no difference between the labor they got in Sun Valley and the labor they are getting in Mexico:p

14. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I don't know about "high end" but my GK 1001RBII is a much better amp than my SWR SM400S was regardless of price.

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I would agree that the 1001RBII is a better amp than your older SM400S. However, I had the 1000RB and 800RB, and while I liked those amps very much, I think the WorkingPro 700 blows them away.

I would however very much like to look into the 1001RBII.

16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Another day, another dollar.... I've been really fooling around with all my settings on my workingpro 700, and I must say, this is a very versatile amp. I set the eq all flat with the aural enhancer at 1 o'clock and the bass intensifier level at about 1/4. This thing sounds smoking!

17. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    welcome to capitalism!!!

18. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    another thing is, i personally own a workingpro 400. and it is GREAT in my opinion. not a single complaint. i love it.

now, about "better companents in the "pro" series", that isn't entirely true., the pro series utilizes a tube preamp, and a SS power amp. the same/similar power amps to the WorkingPro series. so the difference is SS vs tube pre. and many among us actually PREFER SS to tube, including myself, for various reasons. therefore, i love my SWR, and it was worth each and every penny. especially thru my avatar 2 10 and 1 12 cabs. total greatness.

19. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I don't mind paying extra for what I feel is the right thing for me to do. I didn't say there was anything wrong with them as a device, just that I have some mistrust. In general I dig some of swr's stuff and even own a little one.

20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    any new thoughts on this subject?