Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Workinman's 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Secondhandloser, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I was looking at getting one of these, because I can get it from MF for $430, instead of the usual higher price...

But I can't try it before I buy it, and the only time I've used one was back when I was first learning how to play bass, so can't remember much about it.

So, any thoughts on the sound and volume would be appreciated...

Also, FWIW, I'm competing with a SS 120 1/4 stack, a frikkin loud drummer, and a Peavy 600 watt PA (300 per side) into 2x2x15 cabs (which I am currently running though).

2. Zack Ataack

Zack Ataack

Sep 25, 2005
    I had one of these amps for about 2 years and loved it. I have seen them for lower than $430 tho. I needed some money quickly and sold mine for $225, but thats only caues i got it off a friend for $200l. Awesome amp tho.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Frankly, I like the sound of the WM-12 better, probably because the WM-15 has a #*!!@?<&# fifteen in it.

4. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Unless your bass goes through the PA, making your amp the onstage monitor, you may find the WM 15 to be inadequate volume-wise.

I have and use one, and it's a good amp. But I do not play loud rock music.

5. I play very loud heavy rock, and it is not enough to compete with my drummer and half stck guitarist, but then again, not much is...

If you guys don't play too loud, I'm sure it would be ok, and you can add an extra cab on, which helps tons, but this amp doesn't like it if you push the enhance or the bass too much - it clips really easy like this...

I blew the speaker in mine, pushing it too hard. its also pretty heavy for it's size.

6. In my experience, the WM15 combo is a great amp for rehearsal, but won't cut a gig with any kind of volume happening.

7. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    I can't imagine that would cut it. In the long run you will want lots more power (400+ watts). If your ok for a bit, I'd save for a amp head and 15 cabinet. later you can add a second cab (another 15 or 210) and get more power out of your amp.

My wife has a Behringer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/481090/

Sounds good, is inexpensive and she's happy w/ it's performance. Before that she tried a GK 112 combo and blew the speaker twice in no time.

Used might be a good way to go to. Used GK 400RB may be a place to look if you like that sound. Through two cabs (4ohms) this'd set you up for a while and may be more reliable.

8. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

Oh, and since it's an SWR you were looking at, I'll add (used) SWR SM400 to that. saw one used around here for $300, i think. plenty of others...

9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I had one, sounds good, I gigged with it with PA support numerous times. But everyone who says it is marginal volume-wise is correct. Do yourself a favor and buy more power in a separate head and get a nice cab to go with it. :)

10. first of all, don't expect it to get over a Marshall stack and a loud drum kit! If you want that, go get an old used Grand Prix and a superpower amp.

Having said that, I think it would be a great amp for rehearsals and small to small-medium size gigs. It's 160 watts into a 15 and a horn, right? Even for pretty decent size gigs that are not outside (festival etc) I usually bring a WM 4004 and a cab with a 15 and a horn. Pretty much the same thing right?

I have been thinking about 'upgrading' ... I have a WM 10 (60w into a 10 and a horn). It's surprisingly useful for rehersals...I have even used it on a gig with the 15/horn cab as an aux. speaker. It starts to break up a little when you turn it up about 1/2 way (the bandleader was pleased)

And Munji, whatchya got against 15s? I always have a 15 in my rig, whether I use my 2x10 cab with it or not. I always get compliments on my tone...

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I take it you don't come around these parts much.

12. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Buy two and strap 'em on your head like headphones. :p

13. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    I've carried small rooms with that amp numerous times. They were pretty ubiquitous as backlines in clubs in the East Village/Alphabet City section of NYC some years ago.

It's loud and very midrange-voiced. Regardless of what Munjibunga says as a stereotype of 15" speakers, not all 15" speakers are equal. Don't expect booming, low bass from this cabinet (it's obviously in a box too small to be voiced for such). Good amp. A bit heavy for my tastes.

However, if you have a loud drummer and a loud guitarist, it probably won't cut it without PA support. I suggest you buy the amp and find a new band; being a bassplayer with a pulse, a bass, and an amp puts you in a position where that should not be all that difficult.

I own an older version (120-watt) that I picked up used off of a local classified advertisement for $100. It needed a new input jack. Decent deal; I use it for rehearsals.

14. you be right.

15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I love the WM 15 speaker, not sure about the amp. SWR tone is really hard for me to get into.

Though- a lot of musicians seem to love SWR stuff. Last night I played a show with two other bands. Both used the same SWR 2004 setup with a WM 4x10 and 1x5.

16. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005