Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR WP 400, and Ampeg SVT410 HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Hye guys, I was just wondering if the SWR wrokingpro 400, and the Ampeg SVT 410 would make a good combination. I'm looking for a half stack, and I like the specs on both of these, and I'm going to try them out tomorrow.

Cya

Greg

2. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Can't go wrong with the wp400. It's what i use, along with the 2x10 and 1x15. Just can't live without my low end. It is a very nice amp though.

3. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Funny thing is, I use an Ampeg head with a SWR cab...

Both are good brands, and probably can't go wrong. I do like the sound of Ampeg heads over SWR, and SWR cabs over Ampegs, but play both with YOUR bass.

4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    thanks, I'm going to bring my bass into GC tomorrow, and try out both, and I'm gonna try out some GK's, and mix everything up a little.

Greg

5. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    I also own the WP400 ... its a great amp, typical SWR hi-fi sound. I run a WP 4x10 cab with it and my only regret is lack of power. You may want to consider the WP700, especially if you are just running a single 8 ohm cab. The extra headroom would do you good, unless you plan on adding another cab down the road you should be ok.

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I would second the power issue with just a single 8 ohm cabinet. I think the 400 only puts out 200 or 250 watts into 8 ohms, which may leave you a bit underpowered compared to guitars or a heavy handed drummer in a small room.

7. haystack

haystack

Jan 12, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I used to run an older SWR SM-400S biamped into an SWR Big Ben and an Ampeg SVT 410HE. once i figured out that there was absolutely no use in lugging all that around when I could run around 200 watts into the 410 by itself and trot out the 18 only when absolutely necessary I saved a lot of wear and tear on my back. The point is, the Ampeg cabinets I've owned in my life always seemed to have a warmer sound (which is exactly what I was looking for) than their high-end counterparts... but running the 410 coupled with the SWR amp gave it the brightness and overall tonal flexibility that I wanted as well.

I gotta mention that the HLF model will allow you to run your amp at 4 ohms. Made all the difference in the world when I upgraded to an SVT amp!