Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Apr 1, 2001.

1. I have never tried one of these amps, and i was wondering on the tone you could get from it. I KNOW THAT THE TONE COMES FROM YOUR HANDS, but i think they are all MOSFET...that could make them not warm enough for me...

2. SWR isnt warm tone, its "HI-FI" meaning that its not gonna be nearly as warm as a Tube amp© But it has tons of Clean tone© Many people swear that it doesnt distort at all © I almost got the 350, but went with eden, cause it was warmer, and i liked the eden EQ better©
  3. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    SWR does have a warm tone but maybe the Eden is moreso.I had a 750 and tried the 350.Both are nice,very clean,natural sound.Only thing i didnt like was that it was a bit lacking in low end.I used it with their 4x10 goliath.Also give the Ashdowns and Ampegs a try.Good luck!
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

SWR's are noted for catering to the preference for high and low end voicing, while de-emphasizing the mids. They were/are responsive to the fact that many bassists boost the lower and high frequencies on their EQ's and scoop the mids, ("the smile').

Don't worry too much about getting flamed on the "in your hands" thing. Any bassist who isn't putting on airs knows Marcus Miller ain't going to get bone tone if he's jacked into an amp made by Prime.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pretty much all solid state or hybrid amps use MOSFETs in the power stages.
  6. i knew that...it's just that I'm searching (deep and wide) for a warm tone...
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Incorrect, Peavey doesn't use mosfet. I think mosfet sounds really bad, to be honest. I had a mosfet head, not very good sounding at all. I tried a couple other various brands of mosfet heads (Ampeg, SWR, etc...) and they weren't very good at all.

Either go pure s.s. (solid state) or all tube.
  8. Yeah, they use IGB transistors, which are basically mosfets. I've heard great sounding and not so great sounding mosfet amps. All depends on the circuit (and power supply) design. I haven't heard a decent sounding Peavey (to me).
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Have you ever tried a Peavey before?

Most people who Peavey bash:

A) Can't spell Peavey properly
    B) Have only "heard" they suck
    C) Think they're not reliable without ever knowing
    D) Will never try one just because of the name
    E) Will never admit to liking one just because of the name
    F) Have simply never tried a Peavey product before

I think you'll change your mind once you try one of their amps, and if you've tried one, perhaps you should give it a second try. Peavey makes the best s.s. amps I've ever heard.
  10. I have owned:

1. Basic 50
    2. TKO 80
    3. TNT 160
    4. Combo 300
    5. Mark IV
    6. AlphaBass (all tube, best of the lot)
    7. Megabass
    8. 115 BW
    9. 410TX

Plus about $40000 worth of Peavey PA gear, including 12 CS800s of various vintages, and I worked at a Peavey dealer. So I guess I have tried a Peavey before.;) I didn't like any of the amps very well, sonically, and I really don't like their speakers, but I'll say this: The stuff's bloody indestructible and they are really good to deal with, customer service is top notch. Out of the hundreds of Peavey amps I saw go thru the doors of the store I worked at not very many came back. The newer stuff sounds marginally better but not good enough for me to get rid of my '76 SVT and SWR cabs....
  11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I see... It is an opinion. As is mine. :D
  12. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I think the tube preamp on the SWR's remove the steril sound but maintain the clarity.

You can always use effects to degrade the sound but if it is too round and thumpy to start with you are screwed.

Just my humble openion. I do play mostly Retro and my SWR 350 does great.
  13. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    You mentioned the word "deep, wide, warm tone". While I think SWR is excellent stuff your description sounds a little more Eden to me. An Eden amp with an Eden 410XLT will be as deep, wide and warm as you'll ever need to be.
    As for Peavey, I think it's some of the best gear you can buy for the money. Like all things, diminishing returns set in pretty quickly in bass amps though.Is a 20% improvement in tone worth a 50% increase in price viv-a-vis SWR, Eden, Ampeg, Ashdown etc,etc? If you can afford it, of course it's worth it. If you can't then you still have good value and good tone.
    What do you think a Peavey bass and Peavey amp would sound like in the hands of ,say, Victor Wooten....pretty good doncha think?