Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swr?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jul 19, 2001.

1. I've heard the name SWR, but that's about all i know. How good are these amps? How does the pro series compare to other companies such as Fender, Mesa, and Eden?

2. The SWR pro series is pretty nice in my opinion. I'd say that SWR and Eden are the two biggest players in the modern, high end (but not so high end that you'd need to make some really good investments to afford them), bass amplification market.

3. What do you think of the SWR bass 350 running just a Goliath III? Will it work well, since the Goliath III is rated at 700W and the 350 at 8 ohms is at 240W? Like i mean, will it work without me having to take many precautions? Any what do you think of that setup for Progressive Rock stylings?

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It will work fine *if* 240 watts is enough for your application with you having to drive the amp too hard. If your band is loud, I'd try to get something with more than 240 watts.

IMO people worry too much about amp output vis-a-vis speaker power handling. That's not totally meaningless, of course, but what's much more important IMO is *the amp power you have available vis-a-vis the amp power you would need for your particular application.* In other words, if you'd need 500 W to do your gig comfortably, with ample headroom and without excessive clipping, I'd recommend that you first focus on getting an amp with *at least* that much power. At that point, whether you use your 500+ watt amp with a cab rated at 350 watts, say, or one rated at 750 is not nearly as important; either would probably work if you're not driving your amp too hard.

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I love my swr goliath cab its a 4-10 and its the best sounding cab yet!

6. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    start the love fest! i seriously have never met a piece of swr equipment i didnt imediatly want to dry hump....maybe that was more than you wanted to know.....

7. I thought I was the only one sexually attracted to my SWR rig... my wife didn't understond at first, but once she heard that sweet,sweet sound she knew she better watch her step!
    I hope we dont end up on Jerry Springer!

8. lol :D

also, so i was thinking, of course i'm gonna try it all out first, i'm goin tommorow to try whatever i can out. But what do you guys think, the Goliath with the Bass 350 or should i put myself into a deeper hole and get the bass 750 with a goliath?

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    So that's what those holes in the back of the cabs are for?

10. As A voice of dissent, I have personally found SWR gear to be wholly inappropriate for a rock type environment. These amps seem to be geared mostly towards slapping and thumping jazz and R&B music. I also think that their power ratings are generally overstated.

That said, try them out by all means. You may like them more than the Mesa gear you were asking about before. How that could happen is beyond me, but we all have our own personal preferences. ;)

Can't hurt to try it.

11. Well see that's why i'm asking. My plan is to go and check them all out tommorow and decide for myself which is the best cabs and which is the best heads and all. And then the idea at least is to put a down payment on what i want, so i'm looking for the 4x10 cab i want and the head i want and then put the down payment on that.

12. If you're considering SWR, you should also consider Eden too. My current rig consists of both SWR and Eden and it sounds phenomenal! Both companies make incredible amps.

13. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    SWR is one of the finest rigs money can buy. If you look at their list of users, you can see they don't produce junk. If you're no sure about the 350 or the 750, why not go with the SM-500? I have a SM-400 which I run to a Mesa 2x10 and a Joe's 1x15. Killer tones. Not a rock amp? Are you kidding me? it has the balls to handle the lower octaves, and the brilliance to bark out he highs! Go SWR, you can't go wrong.

14. Well what are the advantages to the SM-500 that aren't there on the 350 or 750, and vice versa? And yeah, cabs i'll have to play around with. I definately want my cab to be a 4x10. Though i could maybe just get a 2x10 and a 1x15 for a bit more. I would consider Eden, but there are no dealers in the area at all, so no way for me to try them out. so it comes down to Mesa or SWR.

15. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    Mesa's are nice too, but they're heavy and pricey, the Eden's are just pricey. The SM-500 is 500w mono, 250w per side stereo, and costs run between the 350 and 750. It'll give you enough punch without having to spend too much to overcome those damned guitars.

I personally like the 2x10 + 1x15 setup since I play a 5 string, and like to move more air on the open "B" string. 4x10 don't quite give me the "umph" I like.

16. Oy ?

the Eden CX410 combined with a SWR workingman 4004, that i purchased this afternoon gives me plenty " Umph ! " on the B-string dude :)

Although 75 % i play with distortion.. so it doesn't give me " umph " but " Breauh !! " :D

17. Well when it comes to cab prices, unless you get a deal from the seller, the price of Mesa Cabs are the same basically as SWR. but yeah, the weight is definately a big reason why i wouldn't want to get one. See, i can lift the SWR ones myself, like the size of the cab, and the weight are all good. But to lift like 131lb. or something like that for a 4x10, i most definately would need help because i just don't have enough strengh in me, and so i would have to use my band for moving it around. So basically, the only way i would get the mesa over the SWR is if it sounds like beyound so much better. Like i want to hear it's lows compared to that of the SWR cabs. I'm going to try out the Mesa heads, but they are beyond pricy and they don't have like a middle range set, like a 350 that runs for cheaper than $1000. So i figure that i'm for sure going to go with an SWR head, unless again, the Mesa blows me away like 20 times more, and then cab wise is basically the same thing because of the weight of the cabs.

18. It will.

19. Consider an SWR preamp, and the power amp of your choice.

20. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    Because Mesa doesn't have that "mid-range" head, SWR is the alternative. Yes, the Mesa 400+ head is KILLER, but it takes up 6 rack spaces, it weighs a ton, and runs in the neighborhood of $1500. SWR's SM-500 takes up only 2 rack spaces, weighs 1/4 the Mesa does, and sounds KILLER too.

Mesa cabs are excellent also. The only cab you don't want is the Hartke. Aluminum cones sound too "tinty".