Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR350x power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adrian480, Dec 30, 2003.

1. I am thinking of buying a SWR 350X (I can get it cheap) only is there power enough,
    I think my cab will be two SWR, 4x10 or maybe the 6x10 cab

One of my friends has the older SWR 220 studio (220w) with 4x10, and I think that amp has to little power

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It won't be anymore than +3db louder than the 220. Depends on what you'll be using it for.

3. Are you sure about that? The SWR 350x should have 350w. Vs. the Studio 220w

I play funky, slap!

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Sorry friend.
    350 watts won't properly power
    2 Goliath's or a
    Goliath Sr.

Try Double the watts min. for those cab selections.

However, a 350x would do great with a
    SWR Henry 8x8.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Goliath is 700w cab, senior is 1000

So you're telling me I need 1400, and 2000 watts respectively?

I understand the point of "double the cabs rating" for headroom, but at some point, this loses it's validity, I mean come on. I use 1200 watts through a 700w 410, and I am GROSSLY overpowered. Take it any higher than about 2 on the master (9 o'clock), and be prepared to start blowing things up. Headroom or not, I don't need near this much juice.

As for the original posters question, in most cases this will get you by, but really 350 watts is being spread pretty thin to two cabinets. I would reccomend more power for that kind of setup. Although in the real world, I can't see needing more than 1000 watts for anything, bass rig related.

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Try a 750X or and SM900, they would go really well with either speaker configuration!

7. "350 watts won't properly power 2 Goliath's or a Goliath Sr."

The other day, I had a Thunderfunk TFB420 at Medley Music in Bryn Mawr PA for an audition - they are considering picking up the line.

Since we do not yet have matching cabinets, the resident Bass Guy, Mike, plugged the amp though an 8 ohm (350 watt) SWR Goliath Jr. After a couple minutes, he changed to a 4 ohm SWR 6x10 for fear of blowing up the Goliath Jr: the TFB420, with 240 at 8 ohms, was just too much amp for that cabinet.

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    You can drive a Sr., Megoliath, 2 Goliaths or any efficient cab fine with 300 or so watts. The question is simply whether you will have enough headroom for your playing style at a given volume with that wattage.

The Goliath Sr is a ridiculously efficient cab (110db/1w1m) so a lower wattage amp will go a lot further with it. The tradeoff is of course that it doesn't go as low as some of the other models.

9. Is it possible that could have been a faulty cabinet or too much gain from the amp? I have put 425 clean watts into a Swr Goliath Jr. with no problems.

I am now running 350 watts into the Goliath Jr. and a SOB. I have played 2 gigs with this setup. The first gig was great, guitarist wasn't playing loud, and the drummer didn't hit hard. The second gig, guitarist was playing insanely loud so in turn the drummer played hard...my rig did ok to keep up, but I would have liked more headroom. So yes 350 watts can power my cabs, it depends on the situation. If you can keep the guitarist's volume at an acceptable level
    :D then 350 watts should be plenty with efficient cabs.

10. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Just to chime in here, I power my SWR Goliath III 4x10 with an SWR SM-500, and it sounds absolutly fanstastic. I'm only running 400 watts into a 700 watt program, but I've never been without headroom.

11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Sweet Rig.

12. peatea

peatea

Sep 26, 2003
    chicago
    I had an SWR Silver Face 350 that I used for years with an 8 ohm 4X10 cabinet.
    I played some fairly large gigs at reasonable volumes with no problems.
    But at times I had the amp maxed out.
    If you are playing small to medium size gigs you should have no problems.

Pt