Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR350X vs G-K 700RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BIg O, Apr 5, 2002.

1. I am getting back into playing clubs after too long an absence (I play straight blues on an American Fender J V), and am looking at some new gear. After window-shopping (reading specs, reviews etc.) I am considering either a G-K 700RB or an SWR 350X, with either a 2-10 or 4-10 by G-K, SWR or EDEN. I will be playing these in the next few days - any advance advice or opinions from experienced players?

Cheers,

Bob

2. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I use to have an older SWR Bass 350. Nice amp, but when the power switch failed I bought a 700RB while the other was in the shop and later sold the SWR. I found the GK superior in most respects - it seems much louder, more efficient and even sounding and the high frequencies sound cleaner. I thought I would miss having a tube preamp, but I really don't. The midrange isn't quite as flexible so it doesn't work as well on upright basses - I'd say that's it's only drawback. I use the GK with an SWR 4x8 and a 15, but I'm selling the 15 to add a 2nd 4x8.

3. Is that the newer GK's sound a bit more sterile to me. The 350 seems to have a rounder tone. My suggestion to you is to get to the nearest music store, have them run these puppies side by side through the same cabinet and see which fits your ear better.

4. Thanks guys - after playing through a G-K 800RB today through both an SWR Goliath (4-10) and G-K 410 RB.

:p I was surprised at how thin the sound was at lower volumes, and although I was only using the low output of this bi-amp, the 200 watts into 8 ohms was not as loud as my ancient Kustom 150 into my Peavey 215D. I also found the G-K 410 (no horn) actually sounded better than the SWR Goliath.

I'll try to find an SWR 350X to try out - the problem with living in the country is the 1.5 hour drive each way to get to a shop with a decent selection.

Cheers,
    Bob

5. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    The 700RB is a very different amp than the 800 as far as I know.

6. I agree, from the specs alone. I am still looking for a 700RB to play in the Toronto area - believe it or not, I can't find any shop with one in stock.

Cheers,
    Bob

;)

7. I decided after playing to go with the SWR Bass 350, instead of the 350X or the G-K700RB. The extra effect feature in the 350X wasn't worth the extra $$. The sound range is just what I wanted, with enough warmth to sound full when it punches.

I also opted for SWR's Goliath III 4x10, (for now).

My next question - (this may belong in another thread) - any recommendations on Racks - SBK, others? Input is appreciated.

Cheers:)

Bob