1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR350X worth buying?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Djeetn, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Djeetn

Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    Hi guys,
    I have the chance to buy a second hand SWR350X head for 350 dollars. The head is brand news and only one month old. I have however zero experience with SWR and although I'm interested in buying this head are there any people who could give me some adivce concerning the head? I'm not troubled with the headroom because I have three active basses (Spector, Schecter and Mayones) and will hook this head up with an Ampeg SVT 610 HLF cabinet. Thanks all in advance!!!

2. Its actually a great little head, I owned one for about a year and ended up selling it to buy an SVT7. I really enjoyed it, the subwave was a cool feature and it does go down to 2ohms. The fan wasn't too bad and the chrome looked sharp, it put out a very crisp and clean tone...which is why I decided to part ways with it. I played it through an ampeg pr410hlf as well as an avatar 112, it shined with both. However sometimes headroom became an issue with a very loud band and compared to some of the newer heads coming out, its a bit on the heavy side. I actually paid about 270 or so for mine brand new a few years ago so I would try to talk them down a little bit if you could.

Bottomline:
    Great head, SWR makes quality stuff, but it'll only float your boat if you're into a very crisp and more modern sound. If you're looking for portability and a tone more similar to an ampeg, I would look elsewhere, for around the same bones the ampeg PF line gets rave reviews.

Hope this helped!

3. Djeetn

Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    Thanks a lot Big Mike!! I've made an apointment with the seller to test the amp and I'll try to talk down the price to 250 euro (is around 280 dollars) if the amp suits me. I never have tested a SWR head so I really looking forward to hear it. I now use an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro but I'm as you state looking for a lighter head to bring along to smaller gigs. I'll let you know how the testing went!

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    For intial testing:
    All tone flat
    Aural Enhancer off
    All effects off
    Plug into Passive input even with active bass
    Pre up til it flashes back off a hair
    Master up as loud as you need
    Aural enhancer no more than 11:00 if at all.
    If u need more bass eq reduce treble.
    Keep tweeter at " just barely on" if u have one on your cab.
    Now you'll hear what it sounds like. A nearly blank pallete to experiment from.
    YMMV