Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sx 5 - misaligned pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vcat, Jul 20, 2005.

1. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Hey everybody!

I was thinking about getting a fretless sx fiver untill I noticed on thing - the pickups on all sx jazz fivers are completely misaligned on the highest string. This is especialy noiticeable on the bridge pu - i'll atach the immage taken from rondomusic.com.

I really doubt that it is a design feature. They probably made a mistake while designing their pu's. Without any doubt it will have a significant impact on the sound especialy with bridge pu soloed.

I would like to hear your input on the subject, and if you happen to own one of these - how much can you hear it with the bridge pu soloed?

Thanks!

Vidas

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive heard of people having this problem but i dont think it really affects th e sound.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think it's also part photography-challenged. It's hard to photograph so strings line up directly over polepieces.

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Man, good eyes :)

I have messed around with several of these basses, but never noticed the string/pup placement. I wonder if they are all like that :confused: Quite a few guys here have them, maybe someone can give a qualified opinion .........

5. i had one, and i can tell you that i couldn't tell any difference.

6. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    Me too there is no difference about the sound

7. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    So was I until I found out that they're ****.
    Who compared them to Fenders?

8. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    So was I until I found out that they're ****.
    Who compared them to Fenders?

9. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks for the info guys. It is good to hear from "the horses mouth" that it does not affect the sound, however strange it might seem. I know that these basses are not fenders. I ordered a fretless 4 about half of a year ago. It came with unplayable fretboard - fretlines in several positions were sticking out so much, that those spots would not produce any sound except for something similar to a burp. So I sent it back and Kurt refunded me full price. I swore that I would never go for sx again. But after playing different fretless basses I once again started to think that they aren't that bad for the money. I would just need to invest a little bit to have the fretboard leveled, maybe change pu's etc...

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Fit and finish usually aren't perfect on $100 basses.

11. Have you played one or are you going by what someone else said? IMO, they are on par with MIM Fenders.

12. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I have one too - again, no discernable tone or volume issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

13. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I have a $700.00 KSD fretless with worse pickup misalignment. It doesn't seem to make much, if any, difference.