Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX 5-string Jazz neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gtrandbass, Jun 15, 2005.

1. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Guys and girls, I am about to place an order for SX SJB-62 4+1 (fretless 5-string Jazz style) and before doing so I would like to have input from this forum on if the neck of this bass stays straight for lowest possible action and if the neck/body joint is well strong enough for the 5 string tension.

Also, how do you like the shape/feel of the neck and string spacing in general?
    Thanks!

2. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    There is mega theread for Essex .

3. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    I know but could not find answers to all of these questions.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    In short, from what I've read, everything is good with the neck...and there is tight spacing for strings, which can easily be fixed with a new bridge.

The necks are the same width as the 4 strings tho...

5. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    Hi,

I have this exact bass (at least I think so, after checking Rondo's website -- darn their prices went down!!)

Action has been lowered and truss rod has been slightly adjusted to remove a bit of relief. I wouldn't say it's "lowest possible action", but close -- I can measure if you're interested. I have seen no problems at the neck pocket -- by the way, it's super tight and clean, better than my Stingray.

The answer to your question is: it's been extremely stable after being like that for about a month, despite my abuse (leaned against the couch, wall, etc.; fell over (although inside gig bag)).

I like the shape of the neck and the string spacing. Note I recently got used to Jazz string spacing after having only my Stringray for quite a while. I'd say it's comparable to the other Jazz.

Somewhat related -- Shortly after receiving it I noticed a small hump (or perhaps valley, not sure) in the fret board which rendered the low F on the E string useless -- buzzed like crazy. Out of shyness and laziness I didn't contact Rondo (however, from feedback I've heard Kurt at Rondo is great about making sure folks are happy). My luthier friend leveled the fret board for $40 and all is happy.

More than you asked: Negatives are all acceptable to me, but include electronics, some neck dive, and a pretty poor B string (check out the megathread). However, especially given the cost, I LOVE it. Despite not setting the action extremely low, I'm getting fair mwah, and I feel that with more tweaking and a change in electronics and strings (still has flatwounds) it'll mwah even better.

Talk soon,
    HooBass

6. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Thanks guys for your advice...yes, I'll buy it! No need to measure the action and I actually like narrow string spacing since I am used to 15 mm on my 5-string Epiphone. I guess it is easier to find replacement PUs etc. for a 4-string Jazz but due to the narrower string spacing I'll go for the 5 string version...which would be potential (low cost but good) replacement PU candidates for this 5-string Jazz?

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Heads up, the standard pickups on SX's are actually pretty good and are really hot.

8. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Yes...I'll work on the PUs later if ever needed...