1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sx 5 string jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guardian1233, Sep 20, 2008.

1. guardian1233

guardian1233

Sep 17, 2008
    Well I want a five string and I only have like $200. So seeing as everyone here loves sx I think I'd like to get one. Most likely this one.
    So a couple questions are:

1 How is this compared to a mim fender?

2 How bad is the neck dive compared to a epi t-birds neck dive?

3 How is the b string? Is it floppy or muddy?

4 what are some necessary mods for this? I already figure new strings.

2. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.

Have you checked out used Peaveys? They're great basses.

Check these out;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Grind-Ba...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Grind-BX...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-GRIND-BX...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5-String...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

And if you save a bit more money;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-90s-Peave...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5-string...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

3. I have an SX Jazz fiver and it's a nice bass, plays good, sounds good. Well worth the $140 I paid. Get one.

4. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I just bought that same bass. I've already used it for a couple live shows, and am recording a CD with it. Surprisingly good sound and playability.

1. Better than most MIMs I've played, but that's my own experience, not necessarily someone else's.

2. No significant neck dive. At least not that I've noticed. I use good wide straps, though.

3. B string is decent. Not great, but not bad. As good as any other Fender B string I've played. I'm not blown away by any jazz or precision B string, but I wanted a 34" scale, so that's why I bought it. I don't sit on the B all day long anyway, so it's good enough.

4. Strings, for sure. I put my normal Lebella flats on it, and it helped the B. I have a new bridge for it, but haven't installed it yet. I think the first mod should be pots and wiring. These don't scream MIA Fender quality. They're OK, but I'll replace them soon. I like to tinker, so I mod anyway, but this bass is good w/o a ton of mods.

All in all, you'll be pleased with the bass, and your friends will envy you for getting such a good deal. ;)

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

1). This, and all SX basses, are equal to MIM Fenders. Some, like the LTD versions, are better.

2). Neck dive is a problem, but nothing a wide strap can't control. I can't compare it to an Epi T-bird because I haven't played an Epi.

3). The B string isn't any floppier than on other similar basses. Muddy depends on how you define the term. It may not be as defined a some other B strings out there. But remember, the bass costs less than $200. It's not a $1,000 Fender 5.

4). There are no "necessary" mods. It's very playable the way it is. But you may want to change things to get a certain sound out of it.

6. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    IMO, the SX basses are equal to the good Squier basses. The Mexi Fenders are better than an SX. The pickups on my Mexi Jazz blew away the pickups on the SX, the pots felt more solid, the fret work was better.

7. guardian1233

guardian1233

Sep 17, 2008
    Well I'm getting some mixed comments maybe a better question would be, Is it better to get a sx for under $200 or a mexi fender for $450.

8. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    that depends on what you want on the headstock.

9. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I have a MIM Fender Jazz five, and an SX Jazz five. The SX is my regular gigging bass.

10. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I feel the SX basses are easily on par with the MIMs. I will concede that the MIMs have a slightly better/more substantial bridge and possibly better wiring harness.

But you could get a sub-$200 SX, install pots and caps and wires for next to nothing, and slap a $40 replacement Gotoh bridge on it and you'll be into a darn good player for considerably less than an MIM.

Incidentally, I'm not sure what wood the MIMs use, but here's where I think the SX is a much better value than the Squiers: SX uses alder and ash bodies and Squier uses basswood and agathis.

I still champion Squiers-- there are some fine Squiers out there, to be sure. I just don't think they are worth any more than the SX'ers.

Plus, this is just personal opinion, but I vastly prefer the SX necks to most Squiers.

The only mod I've done so far to my SX is to swap out the strings. I've played for about 30 years and have innumerable gigs under my belt and small-beans local recording sessions and such. I would not hesitate for an instant to gig my SX just the way it is, or to record with it. Plays great, sounds great, totally solid. Cost me under $125 including shipping.

No-brainer, IMO.

11. guardian1233

guardian1233

Sep 17, 2008
    So I guess I f i get new strings and maybe A new bridge it should be very good then. Maby around christmas i'll drop in an audere preamp.

12. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The MIM bridges might be better than those on the standard SX basses, but definitely not the LTD models.

13. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I have that bass. You have been given good info, except I've never paid attention to the pedigree of the Fenders I've played in the store. All I can tell you is I've never played one that made me wish I had saved enough more money to buy it.

I put an Audere in my SJB57. Best mod you can make IMO! :hyper: You can change the bridge if you want (although the performance improvement will be minimal, IMO), but the Audere is well worth the money!