1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX 5 string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Before the search police arrive, I have no idea how to search for something with two or three letters. (SX, DBX, IEM etc) So back to my question- I have rethought my process of carrying two high end basses to gigs. I would like to get a bass I can keep in a cheap gig bag, and leave in my vehicle. If a problem arises, I can make a quick minute long trip and be back ready to go. I don't want to go without a spare, but I also don't want to lug in a second bass. I have done it up until now with a dub bag, but the weight has become an issue with me. I have read posts in the past regarding SX basses, but from my recollection, most have been about four stings. First off, where can you buy one? And secondly, would this five string get it done or should I drop a bit more for a Squire etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. www.rondomusic.com

And you can search for Essex. Most of the stuff will come up under that.

3. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I have no experience with SX (try searching 'essex') basses, but they are quite popular here. Since you mentioned the word 'Squier', I should direct your attention to this thread. Also very popular for about twice the price of an SX:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374320

4. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That Squire is a killer bass for that price. I dread the thought of leaving in in a vehicle. And thanks so much for the help. I wasn't aware of the Essex brand or Rondo. I'll do some looking.....

5. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    The actual brand is SX, but the search engine here leaves much to be desired and will not find it as such. Therefore, the word Essex has become useful to overcome it.

Ebay is another place where you can usually find a bunch of them (search SX there), but right now, this minute, there is only a single fretless 5. It is likely more will be posted soon, however.

6. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I've had three of the SX Jazz 5 strings and they do get the job done very well.They are built pretty well with a solid Alder body and the hardware is pretty good too.They sound like a fender for the most part and the only thing they need to be gig worthy is a good setup and a good set of strings.The B and E string holes in the bridge are small and need to be drilled out a little bit to fit different strings and the pickup poles don't line up perfectly but otherwise the build quality is very good.They do have a narrow string spacing compared to Fenders so if you need wide spacing the Squire would be a better pick.Here's a picture of one of my old ones with two of my other gigging basses.I used the SX as much as the other two in the picture and liked it just as much.

Basses014.

7. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That is the info I needed to hear. I'm not expecting the world for the price, but from the pics I've seen, they do look pretty impressive. As far as the holes in the bridge go, I've had to do that same thing to a bass or two over the years as well. I'm really tempted to give one a try. The funny thing is I've read how many here on TB like playing them. I don't want to like this bass. :D It will defeat the whole purpose of why I want to buy it as an emergency back up.

8. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Did you change the stock bridge out on that essex?

9. Jerry -

Get this - http://www.rondomusic.com/product1714.html - and drop and Audere 3 band jazz pre-amp into it. You might even leave your high end basses at home!!

If you can find a 5 string Brice rather than an SX (their "top of the line" model), you'll love it as your backup.

On another unrelated matter, Rochester is in my territory for my new job - I'll be coming up in May at some point. Will find out more after training next week.

Z

10. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Also be aware that the spacing on the SX 5ers is not wide. But don't be afraid to try it and see unless you really gotta have 19mm spacing (I like the SX spacing, some don't). Also, if you really want to keep it as a backup DO NOT put an Audere JZ3 pre in it! You've been warned!

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

They're here.

Do a search for "Essex." That'll bring up the three million threads on SX basses.

12. lebrett

lebrett

Mar 14, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    And why is that?

13. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Hey GiantSlacker,

Yes,that is a Hipshot A style bridge.I mostly went for that because it's a top load bridge,I couldn't tell the difference from stock soundwise but it's easier to change strings with it.Also if you look close at the not so great picture you can see it has an Audere JZ3 pre in it also.The other guys are right,it makes a huge tone difference.

14. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
  15. Because then you might not keep using it for a backup bass! :bassist:

16. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I recieved my Essex 5-string today but I'm sending it back. Not only are the strings misaliged with the pups pole pieces, the pups aren't parallel each other or the bridge. I emailed rondo about it and they said it was normal for this bass. That seems like a huge design defect to me. I know that seems nit picky for the price I paid, but it's going to drive me crazy.

17. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
  18. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    I have a Brice HXB405 fretless. Solid bass. Alder body, bubinga veneer cools real. active passive pot. sounds amazing all bridge passive. as for active, i have no idea how it sounds . always find my self playing it passive for some reason?

I just finished putting some urethane over it, looks good, and now i can play with my rounds on.

19. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Because that combination works so well you might make it your main bassl!! :hyper: I may be getting rid of 2 basses as a result of the flexibility I now have on mine! Not only has it increased the range of sounds with the Z switch, but I can hear more differences between different blends of the pups. The only reason my SJB-57 w/JZ3 is not my main bass is because I like having a B string.