1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX 5 String vs Squier Deluxe 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BobKos, Oct 4, 2008.

1. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    I have been looking for a 5 string for very occasional use on covers that require one. I don't want to spend alot on a 5'er because I really don't mesh well with them. I have been looking at the Squier Deluxe 5 as a good candidate. Recently I have come across the opportunity to grab an SX 5:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product744.html

The SX looks nice in photos. I have never played one but am thinking that the cheap price is indicative of the expectations that I should have. I can buy this bass for $100. It will be a great inconvenience to meet with the seller and I'm wondering if it is worth the effort? Does anybody know? I am attracted to the Ash body of the SX compared to the basswood Squier. Otherwise, I would simply buy the Squier and be done with it.

Any real world opinions on the SX 5? Anybody own both and have a strong opinion either way?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Actually, the cheap price is not indicative of the experience. If you get the SX (which I highly recommend over the Squier) you'll find that it feels and plays like a much more expensive bass. It's well worth the $100 (which is a good price by the way). It's every bit as good as the Squier (in my opinion better) at less than half the price.

3. I have an sx 5er and it sounds great and for the price I couldnt ask for more. well besides it makign me better player.

4. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    my Squier DAJV plays as good as my Lakland 55-01, i've got flats on my 55-01, & rounds on my DAJV

the Squier DAJV smokes the SX's IMHO

DSCF0020-1.

5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have to go with NorCal on this one. My experiences with SX have been less than stellar and the DAJV is a bass worth more than twice its price IMO.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    both the Squier and the SX will have inconsistant quality ...

You can get a lemon or a jewel ... it is random chance

7. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

This seems to be true with almost any bass you buy these days. It's not just with SX or Squier.

8. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    I was in the same situation as you--looking for a a 5-er for occasional use, and not wanting to spend too much.

I wound up buying the SX 5-er. Mine needed a setup--action was way high. After that, I have been pleased and I gig it regularly. I'm pleased with the tone and the playability.

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Never played an SX. I will say that the new squire's are pretty good for the price.

10. I own a Squier Deluxe 5 string and I have to say It is without a doubt a great bass. I also owned a 5 string SX and what really bothered me was the tight string spacing. The Squier on the other hand has true 19mm (3/4") spacing. It feels very comfortable. Also, with the SX I had problems with the strings having even volume. The low "B" and the "G" were more dominate than the other strings. Those two strings were closer to the pickups because of the radius of the neck, which caused them to be louder. I own a 4 string SX in Ash with Maple neck with Pearl blocks that I absolutely love...Anyway, my vote goes to the Squier...
    Squieractivepassive001.
    SXJazzBassAsh004.

11. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate the help.

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've owned 3 SXs and bought a Squier 5 a little less than a year ago. There is absolutely no comparison between the 2. The Squier is an awesome bass, the SXs have all been sold. While some SXs feel good, on a gig they were worthless to to me. The quality, build, and sound on the Squier are phenomenal. I own lots of high end basses, and the Squier has been coming to more gigs with me lately than any of my others. Trust me that this is no SX, and not even to be compared. Anyone with experience gigging with them both I'm certain will say the same. If they don't, they're lying or they're crazy. :)

13. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1 ^

Had one SX a few years ago - the last one I'll buy. It had major playability issues from the start...I'll leave it at that. I own 3 Squier bass that are very gig-worthy & also my platforms for modding projects. Another vote for Squier.