1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX 75 ash jazz bass vs. Squire vintage modified 70s jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chilliwilli, Nov 20, 2006.

1. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    I'm a sucker for natural bodies and maple fingerboards.

Which of these do you guys think is better? The Squier is around $100 more, but i can try it in a store at least and maybe trade something in for it. Do the seymour duncan pickups justify the price?

One main difference i noticed is that the squire has a soft maple body while the SX sports a two piece ash body. I have no idea what a soft maple body sounds like. All I know is that im putting flatwounds on the one i choose to get a real deep sound.

Thanks for your help

SX:

sjb75ctnat1.jpg

Squier: [​IMG]

2. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i have the SX - well, the old version with black pg - and it is HEAVY!
    but it sounds awesome. your experience may vary.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Those vintage modified squires are really great little basses. I've fooled around with them a number of times and they sound and play great. They also don't use a heavy ash body, which gives the bass a more balance feel.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Squiers are phenominal for the price. They're a bit more than the SX but worth every penny. (I can't believe I'm giving the thumbs up to a Squier, but it's a helluva bass for the price)

5. The Bass Player mag with Pino on the cover has a review of the modified Squires. They loved all 3 modles.

6. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    I'd bet it's a horse a piece here. I will go on record as saying that Squier caught my eye at the local shop in a big way. It 'looks' every bit as cool factor loaded as the (zip...flame suit on) Geddy Lee model.

Enough so that I think on a regular basis that I'll stop in and take it for a test drive, problem is I'm sure I'll buy it if it plays and feels half as good as it looks.

7. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    squier>sx. just my opinion. of all the new vintage modded squiers i have played, i haven't found bad one yet.

8. Bass Player liked the Squiers alright. But the reviewer found dead spots on all three, the fretless needed a set-up, and he complained about the balance on two of them. The SX review is here. The Squier review is here. Seems llike a dead heat to me, especially when you consider the SX costs half as much.

9. Moose308

Moose308

May 3, 2002
    Canada
    Keep in mind though. Unlike an SX, most people might actually be able to test drive the Squier first, in a store. So the "dead spot" issue should become clear long before the bass is ever purchased. With the SX, you have to buy it, and pay shipping, before you ever really know if it has flaws.

While I fully love the idea of the SX, there is a huge amount that can be said about actually being able to noodle on a bass in a store without having to pay for it. Insurance policy if you will.

10. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Just a little FYI - Duncan design pickups are not actual Seymour Duncans. Kind of like guitars with tremolos that say "Floyd Rose Licensed", basically they got permission from Floyd Rose to slap the Floyd Rose name on their own tremolo. I don't know if that's the same case with Duncan design. I just know they're not the same as if you bought a set of Seymour Duncan pickups.

11. Good point, Moose. But I bet most beginning players wouldn't even know what a dead spot is, let alone be able to find one. I in general agree with you. I wish SX basses were available at more retail outlets, but then they would probably have to mark them up.
    Bottom line: I own a Squier and an SX; both basses will get you off the ground playing. The rest is up to you.

12. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I looked up specs on the two basses (I am shopping, not just stirring the pot) and the weight difference isn't all that dramatic - ten and a quarter versus eleven pounds, or roughly 7% (the Squier being the lighter one).