1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX Alternatives? (non-fender copies)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElBajista, Apr 12, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Most people here agree that SX basses are incredible for the price, and that they're a great palette for modifications and whatnot.

I was wondering how many other makes/models of basses out there fit into this same price category of the quality/price ratio. Most SX basses available are Fender-copies, and I'd like to see some other body styles and pickup configs.

That is, what basses out there relatively fit in the the same price range (under $200-$300) that also fit in the same category of SX quality of build and sound?

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I think SX make a stingray copy

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    OLP maybe?

4. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Does SX make a Stingray copy? I know that OLP does. I'ld definitely like to check out an SX version.

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Other brands with a good price/preformance ratio. I am sure there are more, but I have personal experience with some great stuff from Brice and Peavey. Both make modern looking instruments with some great features at some really low price points. By the way, SX does make a few non-fender models, you owe it to yourself to check out www.rondomusic.com, Their stock is low rightnow, but they offer a number of quality modern 5 and 6 stringers.

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    OLP makes the stingray copy. I've gigged one that's completely unmodded and it sounds and plays great. It's a great bass for the money.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    SX makes a stingray copy but rondo doesnt carry it yet.

8. appler

appler Guest

SX makes a couple basses that are not Fender copies. Have you checked them out? I have a five-string model called the BG205 that has a pretty modern design and soapbar pickups.

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Yes, I've been to Rondomusic.net quite a few times.:D

Doesn't Peavey run a bass model that's one of these "unpolished gems?" Millenium, or something?

I began this thread searching for a list of bass makes/models for future project basses.

10. Ohhh, now you've done it. The Peavey fans will be all over you.
    Peaveys may be "unpolished", but they're not priced like SXes.

11. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Where can I find these SX MM copies?

I have done a search for an SX (Essex?) website but couldn't fine one. The closest I got was Rondo Music.

12. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    http://sxguitarspain.com/sx2.htm

Looks cool, huh?

13. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
  14. Sign me up too! WOW!

I've been gassing over a 5 string MM FOREVER!

and one with the round pickguard to boot!

15. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I have been looking at SX lately for a project bass. I would love to get a PJ and swap out the neck.

Now that they have a MM copy I'll definitely consider it. Does anybody know where to get a MM replacement neck other than Moses? $400 for a replacement neck is a little too steep.

16. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Opcianlmente:EQ 3-band previo activo

Hmm...now if I could find a US supplier, this could be a better project bass than the OLP. I want one now.