SX bass: P or J? Or PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave120, Jul 4, 2005.

1. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Hey guys,

I've been looking at SX basses for a little while now and done a lot of research. I'm determined to buy one now, but which one? I originally thought about getting a short scale, but then it wouldn't feel right to me.

I'm thinking now about either a P, J or PJ. What I want to do with it is string it up with some flats and maybe eventually a vintage kind of pickup to use for a classic rock type sound. I already have 2 Washburns that are setup as my main basses for my semi-hard rock band so I want something that will give me a little more versatility that I can jam to the old songs with and maybe use for some of my band's stuff if it needs that kind of sound.

Which pickup configuration is best suited to this type of sound? Like Beatles type stuff? If you want a real example, call me crazy or stupid or whatever, but in the movie "That Thing You Do!" I want that kind of thumpy but not hollow bass sound. I figure I may need a new pickup to really get that sound and all, but which do you think I should get to look and sound vintage? It's either a Vintage White SPJ (I'm a little worried about it being too yellow), A 3TS SPJ, a 3TS J or a black P really since they're out of 3TS P's with rosewood necks. I plan on fitting a black pickguard to whichever of those I get. I dunno if I want another black one though since my 2 guitars and one of my basses are black already.

I also eventually want a fretless since I sorta fell in love with a Fender one I played the other day, but don't really like the colors Rondo has left in stock so I'll buy one of those when they re-stock later on with new colors.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You say classic rock type sound with flats, you want a P-bass for sure.
  3. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Yeah I figured that would be the best way. I was just curious since one of my Washburns is essentially a P bass already with a SD Hot P pickup in it that I use for more modern rock. I guess another one with a vintage setup would be cool as well.

What initially did it for me was playing a Fender fretless at the store and hearing what the flats sounded like since I'd never played them before. After trying unsuccessfully to get that sound out of any type of roundwould strings I tried, I finally discovered flats :) I'm gonna get another P most likely for this function, then I'm gonna get a fretless Jazz too later on..that will give me 4 basses. How many is too many? I guess there is no such thing as too many basses! I just hope they don't all need strings at the same time :D

If only SX would come out with a bass like the Fender Jazz Special (P body, Jazz neck) with a PJ configuration and no pickguard...THAT would be sweet.
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  5. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    That's it except for the pickguard..I would LOVE to see one with no guard. Finding a real Fender version of it is near impossible and pretty pricey if you can find them on ebay from time to time.
  6. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well I just ordered a black P from Rondo. For $89 how can you beat it? If it's half as good as a Squire it's worth the price, and from what I read it's probably as good as a regular MIM Fender.

Do these things come with flats on them or rounds? I'm thinking of buying some flats to have ready when it gets here, hopefully this week :hyper:
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They come with rounds IIRC.

Definitely through some flats on bc the stock strings are blarny.
  8. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    D'AD OEM Flats.
  9. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Are the D'addario flats that come on them any good? I assume not since most times I read about people throwing new strings on as soon as they get them. I'm a newb to flats, but I liked the Fender ones I played on at the store so I guess I'll start there. Thanks guys
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like the strings that came with my SJB75Na. They're easy on my fingers. According to Kurt they are the OEM equivalent of DaD XL170s .45 to .100. I strung my Fender J with them too.
  11. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I've got a fretless P from them and I have no complaints about the strings at all.
  12. plugandplay

Oct 30, 2006
    I changed my strings immediately. They were crap. I put D'addario strings on it and now it sings forever.
  13. jp58

jp58 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Are SX's ready to play out of the box, or are they usually in need of lots of tlc?
  14. dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    It can depend. Like any bass you get, either from the mail or store, it's most likely gonna need some work to get it exactly the way you want it. My Fretless Jazz when it came was close to perfect when it arrived. All I did was swap out the strings for some nylons and adjust the intonation and string height some. Rest of it was already wonderful.
  15. vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Both my SX's were ready to play out of the box...very minor adjustments. I upgraded the hardware on them...they still play better than my MIM P-bass (which is nice for MIM, too). Perhaps I just like the fat neck on them, but the action is consistently low, the length of the neck.
  16. there is one of the 80's jazz bass specials in the classifieds here right now - good price too

P body- jazz neck - P and J - no guard
  17. jp58

jp58 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2009
    So no real issues then?